What did you do today?

odgens

Les Stroud
Reaction score
All those tarns that run along the base of the rodway range ice over in winter - we often leap off the range into powder snow all the way to the bottom, then walk back over the tarns. I think cross country skiing used to be big around here. Skiers used to use that hut. There used to be old wooden skis and bindings in the hut too. Although skating on the tarns sounds very doable :) I never thought of that. It's a really cold place in Winter. Often a freezing cold wind where you would have done the return leg of that walk if you did the round trip. Great photos
Sounds awesome, ill have to get back up there when the snow starts!

Yes some of the old skis were still in the hut but a few had been pinched, was talking to the ranger when we got back. Pretty sad that people do that, along with all the crap written all over the walls. The hut isn't in the best of shape so hopefully Parks have some funding for repairs, be a shame to see something like that disappear

Randall

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Sounds awesome, ill have to get back up there when the snow starts!

Yes some of the old skis were still in the hut but a few had been pinched, was talking to the ranger when we got back. Pretty sad that people do that, along with all the crap written all over the walls. The hut isn't in the best of shape so hopefully Parks have some funding for repairs, be a shame to see something like that disappear
If you do go in winter, I recommend snow chains. I have snow shoes, but the ice is more of an issue. And snow chains are easy to carry. I couldn't get snow chains to stay on, especially traversing slopes etc. They work well for other people (as always :cautious:), so I've bought some crampons that go on normal boots. I got the smallest spikes I could, because you don't really need much here. On top of Rodway, it is always icy. And snow chains for your car - sometimes they make people put snow chains on at the bottom. If you don't have them, you can't go up. And 4wd only. They only expect you to put chains on the front.