What did you do today?

Totumpole

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Had little explore in a pine plantation on the side of the highway. Kicked around in a pile of rotting discarded wood and found this behemoth bit of fat wood!

It is absolutely soaked in resin, the dirt on it it solid and brittle with resin as well.

So I have spent a bit of time processing some down to manageable chunks to carry around.

Also shaved up a fair bit and mixed it up with pretty much everything else I had lying around in various fire kits. The smell when you cut this stuff is amazing, and the fire starting mix takes a spark from a ferro no problem and burns for a fair bit with all the fat wood in there.

Also discovered a top tip to get pine resin off your tools (which was becoming a pain in the proverbial): a few sprays of isopropyl alcohol and it wipes away no fuss!

As much as I could just sit here and whittle away at fat wood for the rest of the day, I better get back to the studies!

Chigger

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
The drawcord on the hood of my Paddymade rain cape came out and with this rainy weather about thought it was time to fix it. Found some suitable nylon cord and with a length of wire fished it through.
The toggles at the ends of the original cord had disintergrated and in my odds and ends found a length of wooden dowling rod. Cut into a couple of short lengths, drilled and whittled down to a rounded shape.

A couple of simple knots and all is restored ready for the next rainy outing.

Paddyraincape.jpg

Chigger

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I bought one of those Zebras about 15 years ago and they are a excellent billy. $2 is a bargain for sure.

Mine has a smaller inner saucepan ?? at the top, put something like rice in the main compartment, then a tin of say Harvest dinner in the top saucepan. By the time the rice is cooked so is the food in the top saucepan.

One pot cooking.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Very proud father. The band my son is in, Star Arcana, released their first single to Triple J Unearthed today.
https://www.triplejunearthed.com/artist/star-arcana
I spent half the day getting friends to hit the like button. If anyone can help out, even by liking their Facebook site, it would be appreciated.
Mods, if this is the wrong place or contravenes our rules, please let me know, I will take it down.
Cheers
Bloffy

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Spent the weekend paddling the Murray River (WA version) helping to train some new canoe guides. Got to shoot some small rapids solo in a 14ft Mad River, and took a 72yo great grandmother down the following day. No tipouts, but we got stuck once or twice and nearly went for a swim. Lol. A great weekend but I am bloody shoulder sore. Might find a pub today for the Melbourne Cup.....
Cheers
Bloffy

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Dam & Flats REDUCED.jpg
cutting & carrying reeds 001 REDUCED.jpgcutting & carrying reeds 002 REDUCED.jpg

Cutting & carting reeds from Cattail Pond for making garden mulch.
Keith.

Last edited:

Chigger

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Looks like a busy day and that pond would make a nice swimming/ picnic place on a hot day.

Chigger

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Each morning go out and gather fresh strawberries for breakfast.

Bowl Strawberries RESIZED.jpg

Excellent when mixed with cereal

Chigger

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Bower birds are ravenous birds and go for anything brightly coloured. A fellow I know up northern N.S.W has to put meshed enclosures over all his fruit plants and veges. Otherwise the birds get first go and they are quick.

Possums like a nibble as well.

The only problem I have is with ants so have to put ant dust out. Which keeps them a bay most times.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Spent last Friday and Saturday using my Cold Steel kukhri to limb down branches as my mate dropped the trees with his chainsaw. Big couple of days but the kukhri held up very well.
On Sunday, went with a mate and did a recce for a canoe guiding trip next weekend. Made for a big weekend and I was a bit tender yesterday. Then the boss reminded me this morning that we had PD with a couple of new canoe guides. Good way to shake the sillies.
Life is good.
Cheers
Bloffy

Totumpole

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Wander around (in 36 degree heat) this afternoon - came across some tracks

Maybe about 6 inches length, thinking maybe Emu.

Also found some bird of prey eating site. Many fish carcus’ and scales, about a km from any permanent water. Big fish too, saved some bone to try and make some needles or hooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chigger

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Sharpened my Cyclone hatchet and put more stakes on the tomato plants which are starting to sprawl all over the place. Always something to do when growing vegetables.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Loaded up the truck & did a tip run, quite a pleasant drive through the countryside to a small bush town tip. Recent rains have greened the paddocks & the bush, lovely to see.
Keith.

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Made up my Enzo Trapper knife kit from Bjorn at Creative Man over the last few days.

Glued up the blade, red liners and curly birch scales with 2 part expoxy

Glueing up.jpg

glued up.jpg

Filed down the brass bolts

filing 2.jpg

filing 3.jpg

Sanding the rough handle with squared edges into a smooth comfortable form was less tricky than I had thought - it seemed to just transform itself with little direction from me. Worked through sanding grits: 120, 240, 300, 600, 800, 1200 then the paper Bjorn included in the kit: 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 and 5000. The last gave an incredibly smooth and polished surface.

The only concern I had was that dark stain came off the bolts and tang at several grits and worked itself into the wood. It was hard to get this out and I don't think I fully succeeded: patches of faint grey stains remain in the finished handle. Any advice to prevent this in future gratefully received.

sanding 1.jpg

sanding 2.jpg

Coated the handle with Scandinavian Oil, sanding lightly between coats

finish.jpg

The final coat showed streaks from the application rag (probably applied it too thickly) so I sanded these out (1500 - 5000) and may add a thinner coat later

finish drying.jpg

in sheath.jpg

next to sheath.jpg

close up.jpg

The leather sheath came with the kit, fits tightly and is really well made. The blade came razor sharp and just a bit of whittling with it has turned it into my current favourite fixed blade knife - really aggressive, so much so I had to reduce pressure to avoid cutting too deep too quickly.