neck knives

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I thought I would start another neck knife thread and it expands from this one

https://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthread.php?8912-Neck-Knives-Neckers-Extac&highlight=neck+knives

Neck knives are really polarizing, you either like them or loathe them. One hint I have to make wearing a neck knife more comfortable is to wear collared shirts, and place the necklace inside the collar (as if it was a tie) this reduces the pressure off your neck. I had to wear a tie daily for many years when working so got used to having something around my neck and so neck knives don't bother me. Concerning the 'dangling' issue (many complain that the neck knife dangles around particularly when you bend over) putting them under your shirt this is mitigated, though it does slow deployment.
I have a few neck knives, 3 set up and another two that could be. I always add in snap breaks so they won't become a noose. My favorite is the CS Bird & Game, so light and yet is big enough to be useful. Handy to wear when camping and want to be discrete (just have it under your shirt)

top (L) Cold Steel bird and game, TOPS Tibo, CS mini Pendleton, CS super edge, CRKT Minimalist.

and showing the snap beaks (I bought a heap of them off Ebay)

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
they look great Keith, though for me they all seem little too big. That's one thing I don't like in a neck knife is excessive size and weight. That is why I love the CS Bird and Game in this role, it is not too big (but big enough to allow my XXL sized hands to get a full 4 finger grip) and yet weighs bugger all (37.12g or 1.309 oz) and its 2.3mm blade stock (with a full flat grind) is so thin that it slices like a scalpel. I have also found the finger ring very handy, as you can "drop" the knife allowing it to swing on your pinky which clears your hand allowing it to be used almost freely, and when you need the knife again you simply swing it back in hand.

Randall

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I have discovered a need for neck knives. I have an ancient crkt neck peck wharnecliffe (see pic below). I used it when I was into whitewater; we'd always end up throwing a rescue rope to someone or towing with a sling to a bank somewhere (because they'd let go of their paddle) etc. So, when working with rope, have a knife handy. mine was taped to the harness of the buoyancy vest. Haven't used that knife for about 20 years. Now I've started spending more time at the beach or coast; stand up paddle boarding, exploring along the rocks and other beaches etc. So I thought I really want a small fixed blade neck knife; out of the way, no moving parts for sand, no bearings to constantly need lube after taking a dip. Neck knife is perfect. My old crkt though is crap steel. I don't know what it is, but it is the softest I've ever experienced. The bevel on both sides was off (they always seem to be), and I groaned. I still don't have a work sharp for correcting bevels, and it always seems to take hours with a lansky. But, the neck peck had a micro bevel on one side, and it was on the upper edge of the bevel on the other side; this is hitting it at 20 degrees, it couldn't be anymore extreme. I was incredibly surprised when I rebevelled it in less than 30 mins with a sharp maker (fairly fine stones). So, I'm after a good neck knife. That crkt is very light and I enjoyed carrying it. I will still use it. I swiped the image from an ebay sale labelled "vintage crkt knife" :) Mine is the same minus the serations.

neck peck.jpg

Last edited:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Randall I can't recommend the CS Bird and Game highly enough for the role of a neck knife. It has all the right attributes to make it excell in the role. Plus being made from Aus-8 steel it is fairly stainless (making it well suited to resist rusting in wet conditions). The only problem is you can run into trouble importing one (customs don't like finger rings on knives and if they find one they often declare the knife a 'trench knife' and seize it)

see my review on it here
https://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthread.php?9985-Review-Cold-Steel-Bird-and-Game

Randall

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Well, thank you wave man. I kind of want everything. I want it to look like a great knife (scales) with good steel light weight (2oz or less) small (5"). I did find 2 places that sell the bird and game in Aus, which should avoid any finger hole issues :) https://www.extac.com.au/cold-steel-bird-game and https://www.knifeco.com.au/product/cold-steel-bird-and-game-cs-20az/

I'm kind of considering the real steel connector, boker plus gnome and still looking. And possibly the esee candiru. I absolutely see the logic in the bird and game - the finger hole transforms a minimalist handle into something very usable.

Last edited:

Randall

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I bought the real steel mini 130A and real steel connector. Both in D2 steel :emozionato: There were a couple of good looking tops knives too: sparrow hawke and crow hawke.

Randall

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
mate you are not the only one, my 'wants' always exceed my ability to buy them.....LoL
All our wants, but the nature of the world is we only ever get close :) There's always a compromise somewhere. I bought both mine from cuttingedgeknives.com.au because they worked out cheaper for the two together (I could have bought one, of course, but that's not what we do :) ). If someone just wants the connector, gocommando.com.au is cheapest - 15% discount which brings cost under free delivery threshold, but then you can choose signature delivery. It comes at at the same cost of the knife alone. As an aside, gocommando look pretty good - they're cheap and have a good range. Anything over $60 after the 15% discount (you have to use their discount code for the discount), you get free delivery (you have to be a member for the free delivery). They only had one knife that I was interested in. Here are some links to the knives I bought at bladehq, just because they show the specs:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Real-Steel-Connector-Drop-Point--81632

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Realsteel-Knives-Mini-130A-Fixed--32605

Most reviews for these knives are by Europeans - German, Italian, Spanish, and various eastern bloc countries. The lack of interest by the US is noteworthy - usually they're right up there with everything knives and firearms.

Update 15/2/19: I can't recommend cutting edge knives. They don't volunteer any feedback with the order process - other than to tell me they can't get one of the knives I want. I've had to ask them if they received my money (it was direct deposit), and then again if the order has been sent. They've answered in legalese both times - pretty arrogant. I'm trying to cancel based on not getting one of the knives I want, and the other one is too expensive with postage.

19/2/19: No response to emails so spoke to the guy via phone and he's redirected me to terms and conditions again and said there'd be a 30% restocking fee for canceling the order. So, I finally I read through their terms and conditions (do people do that?) and restocking fee is for returned items - nothing has been sent yet. Looked up restocking fee, in general it is for returned items. I've emailed again stating these things, but in general I'm not happy with it.

He's responded: not playing by his own rules. I'm copping the 30% cost of restocking. Not worth any more of my time and 30% is worth it to have nothing more to do with them. I'll just avoid Cutting Edge Knives from now on.

Just bought through globalgear.com.au. 10% discount and free delivery if you're a member (membership is free).

Last edited:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
good looking knives mate, I particular like the Real Steel one, though I suppose that is the fact that I love the Real Steel brand.

Randall

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
This post is pretty old, but still relevant. I've had trouble just getting a neck knife. One dodgy site for the real steel knives, and then two high end neck knives with dodgy sheaths (one knife wouldn't come out, the other wouldn't stay in). Waveman has an excellent selection here, I hope I'm just adding to the mix of potential good knives. This one I can't find much info on, but it looks good.

On the site, it is advertised as both D2 and N690. I think it is a mistake. I've gone to the manufacturer's site and they only have D2 - which is great. The handle is similar to the very popular Le duck neck knife, which uses 8Cr14MoV steel. I prefer the shape of this blade, and handle, and of course, the steel. The only place I've found it is at Nebo Knives, a small aussie online store. They also have bradford knives - I'm inquiring on the guardian 3, which is how I found the site. I've also asked if they would be interested in giving a forum discount; he's going to get back to me. So, if you're interested in anything on their site, just wait :)

Model number: QS125-A
Item name: Neckmuk
Blade:Chinese D2 s/s, satin finish
Handle: G10
Overall: 6.50”(165mm)
Handle: 3.625”(92mm)
Blade: 2.875”(73mm)
Coming with a necklace kydex sheath
Net weight: +/-107g (with Kydex sheath)
$75.00

Last edited:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I actually really like the shape of that one mate, looks useable and useful. Seems well priced too, D2 would be my prefered steel, N690 is a little bit of a problem, many manufacturers will price N690 very high and IMHO it doesn't warrant it.

odgens

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I have always been abit skeptical about wearing something around my neck which could be hazardous in a fall i.e tripping over, the knife flipping down and driving into your throat when you hit the deck. Guess it would be less of an issue if you wear it under clothing, just harder to access

odgens

Les Stroud
Reaction score
They also have bradford knives - I'm inquiring on the guardian 3, which is how I found the site. I've also asked if they would be interested in giving a forum discount; he's going to get back to me. So, if you're interested in anything on their site, just wait :)
Keep an eye on Mass Drop mate, they do bradford knives from time to time and their prices are pretty decent

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I know nothing of mass drop; I'll look into it. Thanks odgens.
mass drop is a good site that offers discounted knife sales (they bulk buy and pass the savings on)

https://www.massdrop.com/blades/drops

I haven't ordered any knives from them but have heard good things from those that have.There is one thing, many of the purchases could take weeks or months to actually get to you.

Randall

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Keep an eye on Mass Drop mate, they do bradford knives from time to time and their prices are pretty decent
Holy shit! They have a guardian 3.5 - close but not quite what I want :) Oh, you may have introduced me to another addiction. Don't let waveman know about this :LOL:

Randall

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I put in a few requests. They've had the exact knife - guardian 3 full flat (not the sabre) in the past. Also the tops lioness which I kind of like. And a LANDI KINZUA A2 Thanks again odgens :). Oh dear, they have knife case displays - I can feel the gravity pulling waveman in :D Oh, you already knew about this Waveman! I think you should plan for the future - get a knife room

Last edited:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
knife display house...LoL Now that's what I am talking about. Woe to the establishment if I ever win lotto.