Changing views on the tick debate

Ben Dono

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
http://www.abc.net.au/health/features/stories/2015/02/12/4178721.htm

Thought this was worth posting up as we all spend time in the bush.

We live in a tick prone area and the local Dr's have started recommending killing ticks in place with wart freezing spray.

I don't think it's recommended practice yet but It appears it's on the cards.

Personally I'm sticking with the removal method as we have a lot of ticks around here but it's good to be informed.

One method we use around here for the super small ones that you can't get at once the inflammation sets in is to use a (sterile) pair of nail clippers. When you use the corners of the cutter, you can get around the body to the mouth piece and close it up without cutting anything. The tiny tick come out whole.
I think the freezing method would be better in these situations as it takes out all the room for error...and there is a lot of room for mistakes.

Used nail clippers are pretty dirty, the local vets recommend soaking them in metho if you have nothing else.

Last edited:

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Ben the link has gone 'page not found' think you could re find another link for us

cheers Mozz

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
dont think i could wait to see a Dr to get it frozen...great idea and you would know ALL of the tick would be dead but yeah its the
itch scratch and yukk factor so i think id be still pulling the thing out like i have always done.

Ben Dono

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Hahaha! I'm with you Mozz. If I find one they go pretty quick. There is no way I will give them a chance to have a littler of pups near my home.... Little buggers..we lost two calfs and two chickens last year and I have a wobbly farm cat at the moment.

The cat should pull through alright. It's been 24 hrs now and it's just a little wobbly in the back legs and not getting any worse. Shame to loose this cat as it's the first one we have had that's genuinely nice! It's more like a lazy dog than a cat.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting.

They have some good prevention recommendations:

Next time you're going somewhere you might come across a tick, you can reduce your chances of becoming a host, and all that goes with it, by:

wearing light-coloured long-sleeved shirts and long trousers (it's easier to see ticks on light-coloured clothing)
tucking your shirt into trousers and trousers into long socks
wearing a wide-brimmed hat
brushing clothing before coming inside to remove ticks
using an insect repellent containing DEET
carefully checking for ticks, including your neck, scalp, groin and underarms when you come inside.

barefoot dave

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I have been trialling this new method for a little while now and liking the difference.
Pharmacy bought wart spray and a little patience. An using the one with the little foam applicator for accuracy The little burgers we get at work have usually been in me for hours by the time I find them, a few minutes more won't matter.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I recently read a tip for tick removal and that was using a safety razor. I'm wondering if anyone in this forum has tried it? Does anyone have an informed opinion about it? I've never even seen a tick. Oodles of leeches, but no ticks.

Ben Dono

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I think there are the 'optimum tools' to use but if your stuck out in the bush without them you will probably try anything. I know I would. It would be easy to start cutting yourself in the process and your likely to increase the chances of a local infection....but the same can be said about nail clippers which I use for the tiny ticks.

I think the two big no no's are to squeeze the body of the tick or use chemicals etc.

Sometimes the problem is that if they are left in for a few hrs, inflammation can occur at the site making it appear as if they burrowed in a little. This makes it really difficult to get tools in for removal.

Most of the time they hang on for dear life once imbedded. I'm not sure you could just lift them out with a one sided tool. I wonder if they intended to cut it off leaving the mouthpiece burried? I think I would be going for the whole tick. They take a very long time to heal when you leave the mouth in and complications are likely.

I think I would be exhausting other options first but will remember this...you just never know!

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I was bitten by a tick around march and was crook for around two weeks. Had been bitten before and no problem, but the last one was a different story. Big prolonged dose of antibiotics and better. Must confess of all bush critters I hate ticks the most.

I'll keep the freeze method in mind for next time.

Foxtrot65

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Im glad i found this thread, Ive had 5 tick bites over a month, I get at least one every time I go into the bush, they are what I pressume as, Kangaroo ticks, very small red round insects, I freaked out initially and went to the doctors, he gave me one hit of antibiotics from a card of 5, so a few spare, I was concerned about Lymes Disease (as a collegue contracted it and had a terrible and expensive time with it but is now pretty much ok 3 years or so on). Now I just seem a bit "oh whatever" take tweezers out with me, rub anti septic on the entry point and do all the preventives mentioned above, minus the wide brimmed hat, just a cap. I researched further and stumbled on bush walking blogs where hikers talk about pulling out 15 ticks a day aas though it was nothing and started to relax, I'm still a little concerned though, any thoughts?

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I know of a cadet who got nearly 50 over the course of a week. Slept very close to a grass tree. Never told anyone until last day of camp. We all reckon it was because he was a tick magnet.
From what I gather, they basically used a tick lassoo and pulled them off, then antiseptic wipe. I might be wrong. It was a few years ago now.
WA ticks are different to those in the east. No paralysis ticks, just kangaroo and salt n pepper ticks.
Cheers
Bloffy

Foxtrot65

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I know of a cadet who got nearly 50 over the course of a week. Slept very close to a grass tree. Never told anyone until last day of camp. We all reckon it was because he was a tick magnet.
From what I gather, they basically used a tick lassoo and pulled them off, then antiseptic wipe. I might be wrong. It was a few years ago now.
WA ticks are different to those in the east. No paralysis ticks, just kangaroo and salt n pepper ticks.
Cheers
Bloffy
so pretty harmless, despite the itching? Cheers Bloffy!

theslothman

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Ive pinched a pair of tweezers from work (major hospital) that are ideal for med to larger ticks. They are an L like shape and ive ground them down just enough to make it a little easier to get under the body. My better half has used them on me a couple of times this year along the south coast tathra to bermagui area. Ive been lucky enough (or im just a bit soft) to feel them bite into me each time so its only minutes at longest before they get pulled. I use them on my dog too.
Ive always used the clock wise twist but have read that it should be straight pull or anti clockwise or left to a pro. But ive seen the effect of paralysis ticks and I really dont like leaving them in long enough to get to a DR. Esp when a few hours deep in the scrub.

Bushdoc

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Aerostart has been recommended. Teenagers use 'ventolin' sprays and other aerosols to freeze each other, so why can't almost any aerosol be used to freeze a tick? Some will work better than others.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
After finding some salt and pepper ticks on some tender anatomical parts after the Mambup walk, I went and bought this stuff today from Chemist wharehouse for $20. There are some areas you can’t use it.
I also got some 5% Permethrin cream which is good for the salt and pepper ticks, but not for when they get bigger

Attachments