Thread: An afternoon walk near Kinglake

Never Alone In The Bush
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,342 Times in 1,692 Posts

An afternoon walk near Kinglake

I headed off on a short walk in the forest and thought I'd share a few pics:

While walking along the track I spied a distant white object:
    20180422_162023 (Medium).jpg

With a bit of zoom you can (perhaps) see that its a Laetiporus portentosus (white punk fungus).
    http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showth...te+punk+fungus

I was pleased to see it growing in this area and if I need any for my fire lighting, I now know where I could return and harvest some:
    20180422_162029 (Medium).jpg

In a shady gully, a bit of mud is all that remains of a small puddle.
    The mud has held a lovely fresh deer track. This print is quite a small deer, from either a small species or a juvenile ?
    20180422_163352 (Medium).jpg

Further on, in an open area there is a pile of deer scat in an area of pressed grass (where the deer has been resting).
    I think there are scat from a larger deer (I have seen sambar in the past)
    20180422_165349 (Medium).jpg

Elsewhere, in the grass, part of a turtle shell, fairly recently eaten ! It could be the work of an eagle or fox ?
    I have seen eagles in the past, and I know there is active fox culling going on in the area:
    20180422_164112 (Medium).jpg

There is a dam no too far from that turtle shell, you can see where the reeds and rushes have been flattened by large animals pushing in to get to the water.
    (There are no farm animals in this area, only "wild" animals). I could see some old deer prints and wombat scat down there
    20180422_170253 (Medium).jpg

On a nearby hilltop some old pine trees have died and fallen. There were still some old, deciduous, fruit trees, and flower bulbs growing.
    I couldn't see much evidence of a building, but I guess there was probably once small farm building here and these were planted as part of its garden ?
    20180422_164413 (Medium).jpg

Quite a bit of pine resin still on those fallen pines. There is probably fatwood inside the trunks, but I don't want to rip them apart:
    20180422_164559 (Medium).jpg

On the way back to the car I passed this ... its the remains of a deer. Its quite badly decomposed and I'm not sure what type it was.
    There was no particular sigh of scavenging. It could have been natural causes, but it was fairly neer the road, so it could have been hit and wondered into the bush to die ?
    20180422_171118 (Medium).jpg

That was my little walk ...

Cheers folks

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aussie123 For This Useful Post:

biggles1024 (24-04-18),Le Loup (30-04-18),peter.robinson (26-04-18),Taplow (13-05-18),Thrud (23-04-18)

Russell Coight

Thanks
    That was really cool to see. I often take similar photos to catalogue my hike. Although, I post them to my Instagram story because it's very easy. Thanks for sharing!
    I love to hike, camp, wander, and learn.

www.COACHJOSHWOOD.com

Ray Mears
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    I headed off on a short walk in the forest and thought I'd share a few pics:

While walking along the track I spied a distant white object:
    20180422_162023 (Medium).jpg

With a bit of zoom you can (perhaps) see that its a Laetiporus portentosus (white punk fungus).
    http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showth...te+punk+fungus

I was pleased to see it growing in this area and if I need any for my fire lighting, I now know where I could return and harvest some:
    20180422_162029 (Medium).jpg

In a shady gully, a bit of mud is all that remains of a small puddle.
    The mud has held a lovely fresh deer track. This print is quite a small deer, from either a small species or a juvenile ?
    20180422_163352 (Medium).jpg

Further on, in an open area there is a pile of deer scat in an area of pressed grass (where the deer has been resting).
    I think there are scat from a larger deer (I have seen sambar in the past)
    20180422_165349 (Medium).jpg

Elsewhere, in the grass, part of a turtle shell, fairly recently eaten ! It could be the work of an eagle or fox ?
    I have seen eagles in the past, and I know there is active fox culling going on in the area:
    20180422_164112 (Medium).jpg

There is a dam no too far from that turtle shell, you can see where the reeds and rushes have been flattened by large animals pushing in to get to the water.
    (There are no farm animals in this area, only "wild" animals). I could see some old deer prints and wombat scat down there
    20180422_170253 (Medium).jpg

On a nearby hilltop some old pine trees have died and fallen. There were still some old, deciduous, fruit trees, and flower bulbs growing.
    I couldn't see much evidence of a building, but I guess there was probably once small farm building here and these were planted as part of its garden ?
    20180422_164413 (Medium).jpg

Quite a bit of pine resin still on those fallen pines. There is probably fatwood inside the trunks, but I don't want to rip them apart:
    20180422_164559 (Medium).jpg

On the way back to the car I passed this ... its the remains of a deer. Its quite badly decomposed and I'm not sure what type it was.
    There was no particular sigh of scavenging. It could have been natural causes, but it was fairly neer the road, so it could have been hit and wondered into the bush to die ?
    20180422_171118 (Medium).jpg

That was my little walk ...

Cheers folks
    Close-up of the beetle eaten bracket fungus tinder..jpg
    Close up of the Lietiporus Portentosis having been eaten by the fungus beetle. The resulting dust from this beetle will take a spark without the need of charring.
    A fungus Beetle.2.JPG
    The fungus beetle (copyright).
    Keith.
    "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less travelled by,
    And that has made all the difference".
    Robert Frost

http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/
    http://neclhg.freeforums.net/
    http://australiansurvivalandpreppers.blogspot.com.au/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Le Loup For This Useful Post:

barefoot dave (06-05-18)