Thread: Silver soldering and/or brazing question

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks

Silver soldering and/or brazing question

Advice please. I want to re-attach a cup handle to a stainless steel cup. Couple of other small attaching jobs are in the future if the first job goes well.

First Q is to do with food quality soldering and/or brazing. Bunnings has a range of Silver Solder sticks and the catalogue says they are suitable for soldering copper plumbing used in water supply. I will ask at the store of course, in the meantime, does anyone have knowledge of these products and their food safe use on stainless steel cooking pots and cups?

What is the difference between silver soldering and brazing?

Is Borax paste sufficient as a flux?

Hoping someone has answered these questions for themselves at some time and will offer some wisdom.

TB

Templar

Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to live in the sun
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 425 Posts
    Silver solder is what you need and borax is fine for flux. These days most silver solder rods are flux coated.
    You will need and oxy with a #6 tip and be careful with the heat as its only thin
    hope that helps
    We didn't raise our voice, we didn't make a fuss. It's funny there was no one left to notice when they came for us

I lied about being the outdoor type....

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    hope that helps
    Sure does, thanks. I figure I will muddle at first, mainly wanted some confidence building.

TB

Ray Mears
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticklebellly View Post
    Advice please. I want to re-attach a cup handle to a stainless steel cup. Couple of other small attaching jobs are in the future if the first job goes well.

First Q is to do with food quality soldering and/or brazing. Bunnings has a range of Silver Solder sticks and the catalogue says they are suitable for soldering copper plumbing used in water supply. I will ask at the store of course, in the meantime, does anyone have knowledge of these products and their food safe use on stainless steel cooking pots and cups?

What is the difference between silver soldering and brazing?

Is Borax paste sufficient as a flux?

Hoping someone has answered these questions for themselves at some time and will offer some wisdom.

TB
    Solder only requires a low heat, you can use a non electric soldering iron. Brazing uses a brass rod & it requires more heat to melt the rod, like an oxy set. If you don't have a soldering iron you can use a gas torch. You could use oxy but you don't need a lot of heat so keep it low if you are using oxy. As far as I know all solder these days is non lead content, but silver solder should be fine & food safe. Some solders come with an internal flux. I have heard of Borax being used, but I have never used it myself.
    Keith.
    "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less travelled by,
    And that has made all the difference".
    Robert Frost

http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/
    http://neclhg.freeforums.net/
    http://australiansurvivalandpreppers.blogspot.com.au/

Templar

Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to live in the sun
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 425 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Loup View Post
    Solder only requires a low heat, you can use a non electric soldering iron.
    Keith.
    That's soft soldering , not silver soldering
    We didn't raise our voice, we didn't make a fuss. It's funny there was no one left to notice when they came for us

I lied about being the outdoor type....