Thread: New Show Ideas?

Russell Coight

Thanks

New Show Ideas?

So with Man Vs. Wild a failure in terms of actual survival, Les Stroud going off grid and no real replacements of any worth, there is a clear gap in the market.

I am looking for ideas for a new show concept.

I have a background in filming and professional adventuring, am trained and experienced in survival, have extensive experience with animals and handling as well as cooking and bush cooking.
    My girlfriend is a plant expert and botanist, also loves animals and has extensive cooking knowledge.

So as you can see, the ideas we can work with are pretty broad.

If anyone has any ideas of concepts or just segments, we would love to hear from you!

Templar

Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to live in the sun
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 422 Posts
    Russell Coight was probably the pick of them and it's been done
    We didn't raise our voice, we didn't make a fuss. It's funny there was no one left to notice when they came for us

I lied about being the outdoor type....

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darren For This Useful Post:

biggles1024 (15-01-18),sami12 (12-01-18)

Russell Coight

Thanks
    Russel Coight was a legend! But comedic.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingAdventurer For This Useful Post:

sami12 (12-01-18)

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    Sounds like you pair could achieve some sort of balance as a couple , especially making it work , as each others time could be split to different roles , as has worked for millennia freeing up each others half's time to concentrate individually complimenting each other as a team.
    That in itself is appealing , as the macho bluster and man VERSUS wild , instead of harmony with nature thing usually gets either way over balanced to hippy talking like keanu reeves from point break types wearing skin undies , or manly overly compensating huffy puffy goosebag hero types.

So the middle road would be good in my opinion . common sense .

Thats what I'd like to watch of the top of my head .
    Ill take practicality and the truth over socially accepted norms too.so that would be a bonus.

Added to that , not too heavy on the mental problem occupying the planet to can never have enough of this or that material , sensible amounts , I like talking to the old people who made it work say the depression times.

Common sense, practicality , resilience , cut through the crap , toss out the unnecessary , and make do , and do it well.

There's plenty of food to be had , comfort doesn't have to be that hard to come by, and the day to day of a balanced lifestyle would be great to watch , take a move away from the pace of overly sensationalised crap on TV , and put together good stories which write themselves as they appear and work through them .

The survival and the human elements.

Disclaimer , I haven't watched TV for many years, as a choice .
    I do pick and choose what I want on YouTube.
    Most end up being overly gear related endorsements there.

So I wish you the best of luck with it.

I have heaps of ideas.

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    I think a good story should have a romance with food in it
    If you have ever watched Maggie beers on the cook and the chef , who wouldn't want to be in her kitchen licking the spoon ? she puts so much passion into cooking , if you guys could take us on that sort of foodie fulfillment along with not only surviving to thriving that would be really something

Mors Kochanski
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingAdventurer View Post
    So with Man Vs. Wild a failure in terms of actual survival, Les Stroud going off grid and no real replacements of any worth, there is a clear gap in the market.

I am looking for ideas for a new show concept.

I have a background in filming and professional adventuring, am trained and experienced in survival, have extensive experience with animals and handling as well as cooking and bush cooking.
    My girlfriend is a plant expert and botanist, also loves animals and has extensive cooking knowledge.

So as you can see, the ideas we can work with are pretty broad.

If anyone has any ideas of concepts or just segments, we would love to hear from you!
    Some things come to mind, but whether or not they are what you want is another matter.
    1) The bush foods thing is a popular subject, but most of the ones done in the past focus on the Territory. I think it is about time the rest of Australia was covered.
    2) Bush survival from the shtf point of view. Yes I know that forums like this one like to steer clear of shtf survival, but there is a market for it here in Australia.

Both of these put together gives you a huge range of program options, different areas, bugging in versus bugging out, foods, modern equipment versus 18th century equipment (given that in a major shtf situation we would in fact be thrown back into an 18th century lifestyle). Transport; foot travel versus vehicle; trekking trollies, bicycles, backpacks, etc. Shelters; making shelter, tents versus oil cloth shelters. Fire lighting methods, primitive versus modern gadgets. Sustainability, self-reliance, security, protection, etc etc.
    Keith.
    "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less travelled by,
    And that has made all the difference".
    Robert Frost

http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 777 Posts
    Gday Wandering Adventurer,
    I've often thought it would be interesting to put survival experts and/or indigenous people from different areas eg an Inuit, an Australian Aboriginal, a Bedouin, a Kalahari bushman and a New Guinea highlander into each others backyards and see how they cope.
    I saw two interesting YouTube docos (I think that's where they were, anyway). One was a group of people from disparate backgrounds were isolated in a huge deserted warehouse and had to survive, as well as protect themselves from marauders. Sort of like Survivor without the BS. It was quite long term because they managed to grow a food crop in a sterile environment. The other was a bloke doing a "get home bag" type of thing where the Zombie Apocalypse struck while he was at work. He had arrived at work by train from a long way, was in casual busines clothes, had a sports bag and everything else was what he could scrounge along the way. He basically had to go three days to walk home, without being seen. It was a realistic scenario but he was a bit contrived, I think.
    Another might be how you and your partner might approach situations differently. Male v female sort of thing.
    I agree with Keith about the bush foods of Australia. Les Hiddins was very Territory-centric as are many others. I believe he was asked to do one in the Pilbara and replied there wasn't enough there to fill one show. I would love to learn more about bush tucker in the Great Southern, for instance.
    Finally, what about bringing song lines to the wider public and how they are relevant in today's society. The First Australians thrived for millenia following their song lines.
    Oooo. What about a complete noob being thrown into situations then, after they fail or whatever, an expert shows them skills, they repeat and the difference is quantified somehow.
    Take 'em or leave em. Just random mind wanders for your consideration.
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    How can I ever get lost when everyone is always telling me where to go?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloffy13 For This Useful Post:

Le Loup (14-01-18)

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    I like History's Alone series, its a lot more realistic, but the editing lets it down somewhat.

Malcolm Douglas

Thanks
    I'd like to see a show similar to Alone, but with a twist.

Each of the contestants start out with their 10 selected items as per the original show.

Here's the twist. The producers would set ongoing Bushcraft, survival, camp construction, hunting, foraging type tasks to the contestant to complete in a set time-frame. Complete the task, choose an additional piece of kit. Fail to complete the task, you have to give up a piece of kit.

The additional pieces of kit the contestant selects as they complete the tasks, would assist in ongoing and more difficult tasks etc. Completing the future tasks would be reliant on you having more and more pieces of kit.

I would also like to see the contestants have the opportunity to locate hidden caches, containing extra food/gear/luxury items. Similar to a treasure hunt. Navigational clues to assist in locating the cache would need to be uncovered by either completing a task or solving a problem, or catching a certain prey, finding a certain plant/edible food species etc

These types of tasks etc would prove who has better skills versus who can starve themselves the longest. Not just about sitting there and catching food, but attempting to complete the tasks to gain more tools, to then be able to complete more tasks.

Also should you not have the skills to complete a task, you lose a piece of kit, then you'll be home before you know it. Won't last long with no gear at all.......Unless your 'Primitive Technology Man'.

I feel the show would play out more as a real live 'Xbox/PC Adventure type Game' than a starvation survival game.

Ludwig Leichhardt
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,382 Posts
    Here's an idea, pack it with heaps of real information, too many shows have been over hyped, padded out,
    clash of personalities, reality TV type shows.
    Take the best themes from Bush Tucker Man, Malcom Douglas and The Leyland Brothers: Indigenous knowledge and techniques,
    history, survival, remote locations, natural history ect.
    More specific subjects could include, fire making of all types, water management, wild food finding, plant ID, animal tracking,
    kinfe selection and use (always popular), shelter building.
    Check out the Youtube Primative Technology bloke too.
    "Walk softly ...... listen long"