Thread: Neo Air sleeping pad.

Russell Coight

Thanks

Neo Air sleeping pad.

Hi. Just like to recommend this range of sleeping pads, Neo Air by Thermarest. For a long time I haven't been a fan of air sleeping pads, having been let down by my first one, in the 80's. I had always used closed cell foam pads since then. Two years ago when I was in a outdoor retailer, I came across a Neo Air pad. What first struck me was the size and the weight, the size of a large water bottle, rolled up and light. For several years I had been scaling down my pack size and weight, I had come across favourable reviews of this range of pads, so I thought I would give it a go. Certainly a lot less bulky than a closed cell pad and not too much more weight. When I got the price from the counter, I was a bit shocked, phew expensive!! But after a few years heavy use, its been so worth it. I've never had such a comfortable sleep in the outdoors. I'm 95kg with a pretty messed up and sore body and its great, I can sleep on my side and not hit the ground. Its very warm too. One con is that it is a bit noisey, but this is a minor flaw. The pad when you first look and feel it, does feel flimsy. But it has had heavy use in all terrains and is like new. I have always though had a tent floor or ground sheet underneath to help prevent punctures. In summary, if you are getting on in the years and want a good night sleep, fork out the cash and get one, you wished you had years ago.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rune For This Useful Post:

biggles1024 (19-12-17),MongooseDownUnder (17-12-17),Mozzie (18-12-17),Taplow (23-12-17),Wentworth (17-12-17)

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    I'm in the market now for a new ground pad, cheers for the review! One question, how do you find the length? I'm 6'2" and not a fan of hanging over the end.

Bear Mears
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,766 Times in 869 Posts
    Thanks for the review Rune.
    I've had an eye on the neo airs for when my exped wears out

Russell Coight

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T.C. View Post
    I'm in the market now for a new ground pad, cheers for the review! One question, how do you find the length? I'm 6'2" and not a fan of hanging over the end.
    Hi. The pad is 2020mm. I think mine is regular and there maybe a long version.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rune For This Useful Post:

T.C. (20-12-17)

John McDouall Stuart
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 353 Posts
    +1 on the Neo Air mats.

I replaced my old thermarest with one of these and was a bit worried by the apparent delicate construction, but it's held up well over several trips. Very comfy and packs up much smaller and lighter. Just a bit pricey but worth it in the long run.

Les Hiddins

Thanks
    From what I understand. ..these are the bees knees https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdro...t-ultralight-v

Mors Kochanski

Thanks
    I have to echo Runes experience. Looks lightweight and flimsy, performs great!.
    Have the Klymit also. Comfy in its own way, but the neoair way outperforms it.

Mors Kochanski

Thanks
    I just received my exped synmat 7. I'll be giving it a run over the break. I chose it over the klymit due to a lot of reports that they go down over night it other such faults

Never Alone In The Bush
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,371 Times in 1,707 Posts
    For what its worth I recently bought a "Exped Synmat Hyperlite M" and have been very happy with the comfort, warmth and size/weight.
    And it is quieter that the Neo air - I know that noise of that mat would annoy me !

I've used it for a few weeks and have been very pleased. I was unsure about the mummy shape (hence the "M" in the name) but it suited me fine;
    the length running panels seemed to stop me falling off the side.

I tend to sleep side or front rather than back.

Exped say:

The SynMat Hyperlite is the world’s lightest mat at its warmth and comfort levels! It packs to an extremely small size and its tapered profile fits into the smallest tents. Tapered design and 20 denier fabric for weight reduction, microfiber insulation for 3-season warmth and 7cm thickness for comfort. This mat proves that comfort and warmth need not be sacrificed in pursuit of super light packing.

Temperature: -6 C
    R-Value: 3.30
    Thickness: 7.00 cm
    Length: 183 cm
    Width: 52 cm
    Weight Mat: 350 g
    Weight Packsack: 11 g
    Packed height: 19 cm
    Packed diameter: 9 cm
    Pack volume: 1.21 l
    Product contents:
    Mat
    Packsack
    Repair kit
    instruction sheet
    Repair manual
    Warranty: 2 years

exped synmat hyperlite m.jpg

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aussie123 For This Useful Post:

peter.robinson (10-01-18),sami12 (10-01-18)