Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A pleasant walk on the Bibbulmun Track....

Bear Mears
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,766 Times in 869 Posts
    Sorry to hear that Chris.
    We've used our oven in the past, set to the lowest heat and wedged the door open with a wooden spoon. It works well

Les Stroud
    Thanks
    Hi Thrud

The brand is "5 Star Chef" (5 tray model). Up to the point the heating element died, it was apparently working well - so maybe I just got a dud. The reviews are reasonable for this model.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris8546 For This Useful Post:

Thrud (05-12-17)

Les Stroud
    Thanks
    Hi Wentworth

Yes, I used a wooden spoon to keep mine slightly open to allow air moisture to escape. Works very well.

Les Stroud
    Thanks
    Those Nice people from OzLivingPlaza (via eBay) sent me a new one which has done 3 batches so far without problem, so it seems the original one was obviously just a dud!

Plus I get to keep the trays from the dud one so I now have 10! Whoo Hoo!

Les Stroud
    Thanks
    Proposed schedule:

Camp Camp Distance KM Day of trip Comments
    Dwellingup Chadoora 20.7 1
    Chadoora Mt Wells 15.6 2
    Mt Wells White Horse Hills 16.0 3
    White Horse Hills Gringer Creek 16.6 4
    Gringer Creek Nerang 16.5 5
    Nerang Monadnocks 27.0 6 Double Hut Day
    Manodnocks Canning 16.3 7
    Canning Mt Dale 18.9 8 Double Hut Day
    Mt Dale Waalegh 20.3 9 Double Hut Day
    Waalegh Ball Creek 18.3 10 Double Hut Day
    Ball Creek Kalamunda 25.0 11 Double Hut Day

For anybody who wants to get their name in the Bibb Track record books, the fastest "End to End" (Kalamunda - Albany) is just 15 days!

To put that into context, that equates to 1.5+ marathons a day for 15 straight days!!

A bloody good effort by anybodies standards.......

Les Stroud
    Thanks
    Bugger, it messed up my table settings...

Les Stroud
    Thanks
    Not so pleasant after all.....! Its not supposed to be 35 and 34 degC respectively on back to back days in early April. Managed to last 2 days only. Nobody tells you about replenishing lost electrolytes when you are experiencing heavy sweating. By the time I got to Mundaring Weir at midday on day 2, I was starting to cramp in both calves, thighs and hands despite having consumed 3 litres of water that morning alone.
    So being a little bit sensible, I realised that carrying on would be both futile and extremely dangerous with the next camp still being a number of KM's away.
    So a lesson well learned boys and girls. Don't underestimate the difficulty (especially when carrying 45kg on your back) of the Kalamunda section of the track or the australian weather!!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris8546 For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (18-04-18),biggles1024 (20-04-18),MongooseDownUnder (17-04-18),Thrud (17-04-18)

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 786 Posts
    It can go pear-shaped in a very short period of time; sounds like you made a sensible decision. 45kg is a heavy pack, how many days was that planned to cover?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Thrud For This Useful Post:

sami12 (18-04-18)

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    45 kg is a very heavy pack! The most I can carry any distance is 20kg and I deliberately carry a 40l pack so I canít fill it with junk I donít need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MongooseDownUnder For This Useful Post:

koalaboi (18-04-18),sami12 (18-04-18)

Les Stroud
    Thanks
    Originally it was supposed to be 10 days (Kalamunda to Dwellingup) but due to work commitments I had to cut it down to 5-6 days, so the revised plan was to do Kalamunda to North Bannister.
    Enough food for a week (brekkie, lunch and dinner plus trail snacks) plus a change of clothes, rain gear (just in case), plenty of fuel for the stove, stove and cooking stuff plus utensils, bag, tent, sleeping pad, pillow, an assortment of odds and sods - 2 head torches, binoculars, monocular, heaps of batteries, fire starting kit, compass, multi-tool, couple of knives - the usual stuff we have in our packs. My first aid kit weights almost a kilo and in hindsight I didnt need 10 different bandages, 50 band aids, 2 bottle of hand sanitiser, insect repellant, anticeptic cream etc! I probably could have cut it down by 10kg by not having so many non-essential bits and pieces and of course it didn't rain. I set off with 4 litres of water and used all but a litre during the first afternoon and early evening. But there was water in the tanks so I topped up adding purifying tablets to each bottle to kill any bugs/germs. So set off again next morning with another 4 litres of water so my pack was probably only 0.75kg lighter than it was on the first day.
    If I had been able to replenish my lost electrolytes I would have been good (or at least better) , but I got to the point where I just wanted to find a bit of shade, lay down and go to sleep so I knew I was fecked for sure....!
    When you guzzle down 0.5L of water and are instantly thirsty again you know something isn't quite right. It's only when my fingers started cramping (folding over against my palm and locking in place so I couldnt straighten them) that I realised I was getting into real trouble and that's when I called for a pick up.
    I made the right decision to stop when I did otherwise I would probably have just become another statistic. I passed one or two people on day 1 (Easter Monday afternoon) but didn't really see anybody on the second day until I got to the Weir.
    I think I will stick to camping in the future. Talking of which, is anybody planning anything at the moment? We can have a camp fire again now!!!!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris8546 For This Useful Post:

Bloffy13 (27-04-18),MongooseDownUnder (26-04-18),Thrud (23-04-18)