Thread: Sensible snake leggings ?

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks

Sensible snake leggings ?

Whilst walking near some very tall grass taller than me , having pushed my way through yesterday out bush ,
    I reached a clear enough patch straddling the edge and made my way along .
    Looked down and there was a big blackish grey scaley thing about a foot or two beside me .
    It was huge in width looking like it had swallowed a grapefruit size prey it moved further into the long grass .

The thickness of the snake as much as I could see and the color made me think maybe it was a short fat death adder.

Anyway , I see snakes all the time near weekly sometimes a few a week , I wear high leather boots and thick woolen socks pulled as high as I can and long pants .
    I had been wearing sea to summit gaiters yet have stopped wearing them as they push the pants close to the leg and I didn't feel that was beneficial .

I don't really go on trails too much so go through thick stuff often and the size of some of these snakes makes me want to cover up higher.

Our snakes here whilst being bitten isolated are something I'd hate to contemplate as a rescue would be a huge issue regardless of compression bandages or not.

So has anyone come up with any snakeproof leggings or is aware of any brands that are good , please feel free to share I'd appreciate getting this at the prevention stage .
    Thanks

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    I have the sea to summit quagmire gaiters , and I have a new unused pair still in the cupboard .
    If anyone thinks these are going to save them from a bite and have them , go grab a pin and see how easily it can push through . I did that a moment ago and was very unimpressed as it goes straight in . I could imagine a fair whack from an angry snake may even get stuck god forbid .
    I was only reading someone selling them online a moment ago suggesting they'd be the best chance at protection.

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    Coastal taipan 13 mm fangs and can kill a man in severe cases in 30 mins , lol , OK I'm thinking I'll find some leather and go to work if nothing else .
    http://www.australiangeographic.com....gerous-snakes/
    I hear people say all the time , if you leave snakes alone they'll leave you alone , although this may be true in some cases ,
    I have seen a 2 m brown colored snake that would not back down from the car on a causeway , flashing lights horn and going back and forth towards it for minutes until we had no choice except to run over it if we wanted to get in .

I've been bare foot in boxer shorts in the morning and had a Brown snake. S' ing up at me under the couch I didnt see until the dog growled and let me know , saving me about a foot and a half from my bare feet.

Every body has there own experiences and ideas those are a couple of mine .

I can think of a few at least blasee high profile zoo type people who like to play down the animals we have until one day it camenbit them .

Russell Coight

Thanks
    A snake getting stuck in the snake gaiters would be a nightmare. They’d just be pumping their venom straight into the bite

Never Alone In The Bush
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,224 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Nothing short of armour will be snake proof ! Remember that animal skins are "made of leather", and fangs are designed to penetrate that leather barrier !

On the plus side many snake bites are "dry bites", and in other instances the fangs may not actually penetrate the skin; because they miss and have bitten clothing instead.

Back to the original post, I wear gaiters and (often) long pants because it offers some degree of protection... You can wear the pants inside or outside the gaiters.
    (I always wear thick woolen socks, but not specifically for snake bite, but I guess it is an extra layer).

Since we're on the topic of snakes its probably timely to review your snake bite kits and knowledge about how to treat bites.
    Here's a link with some good information about Pressure Immobilization

http://biomedicalsciences.unimelb.ed...over/first-aid

and a link to the St John first aid card:
    http://stjohn.org.au/assets/uploads/..._snakebite.pdf

(No Affiliation)

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aussie123 For This Useful Post:

biggles1024 (14-11-17),Kindling (14-11-17),ozslon (14-11-17),sami12 (16-11-17),Wentworth (14-11-17)

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    Yeah thanks Aussie . I'll check it out.I'm aware of that , I know a few people who've been bitten , I know of stories of some who died , I know of the fatigue caused long after bites to survivers and muscle even brain damage .
    So for me means positive means doing what I can afford even if its expensive money wise as I can't afford the other option.
    I know of lots of dogs killed including mine.
    I'm not going down the she'll be right track ,
    So i'll get it sorted as sensibly as I can .

Thanks its good to keep brushed up on the first aid .
    Beats the shady tree wishful thinking trick .

I carry compression bandages , and a mobile phone .
    Even a spare and spare battery chargers.

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    https://snakeprotex.com.au

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MongooseDownUnder For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (16-11-17),Kindling (14-11-17)

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    Thanks mdu I'll look into them .