Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dry goods challenge

Rüdiger Nehberg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloffy13 View Post
    Had a look online. Apparently you just blend 6 eggs (I did five, that's what I had), dehyd them for 8-10 hours, reblend into powder. Stores for several months apparently. I'm keen to find out.
    To rehydrate, add water and a drop or two of oil. How much water is the question.
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    I looked into dehydrating eggs soon after I bought a food dehydrator, but before I tried it, I discovered that I can buy dehydrated eggs from Woolworths supermarket. Much easier and safer than doing it myself.
    I should add that in one branch of Woolworths, I found the dehydrated egg in the dairy case. They had refrigerated it!

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 759 Posts
    Thanks Biggles. I can't say I've seen it myself but will have a look. Fun is in the challenge of making it. Biggest fear I have seen so far is from salmonella poisoning but seems to be mainly from store bought, triple washed, bleached, refrigerated eggs left out on benches. All of their natural protection is gone.
    Mine go unwashed from the chook to the carton, sometimes to the fridge, sometimes on the bench.
    I knocked up a batch overnight last night. Apparently, one egg equivalent is 1tsp egg powder, 2 tsp water.
    I will play around with it and let you know.
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    How can I ever get lost when everyone is always telling me where to go?

Russell Coight

Thanks
    Loving this thread, great ideas to get me out of eating instant oats or instant fried rice on a long hike!

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 759 Posts
    Hey Lazy J, that's good to hear. You and Chris should start a club.
    Unfortunately, today and tomorrow I have to fall off the wagon. Had some stuff in the fridge that needs to be eaten.
    That said, I will still continue for another few days. I have eaten very well, the diet is varied and has enough variation to keep me going easily. I will do a count up at the end and see what sort of weight I would be carrying.
    So far it is going to be significantly lighter than what I would otherwise and just as interesting or more.
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    How can I ever get lost when everyone is always telling me where to go?