Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry goods challenge

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    I have an old rice sack with a zip on it I use to carry rice or pasta. I think you can still get them in some shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karen Hood
    Thanks
    You're welcome! Waxed cloth bags are a great idea. Glad you are inspired!
    BushChef

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BushChef For This Useful Post:

Bloffy13 (15-11-17)

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks

Dry goods challenge

Another easily packable staple I just thought of is polenta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MongooseDownUnder; 15-11-17 at 11:22 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MongooseDownUnder For This Useful Post:

Bloffy13 (15-11-17),Wentworth (15-11-17)

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 759 Posts
    My dear wife is visiting her mother for an extended weekend. I think I might buy some ingredients and put them to the test. Easier to test and adjust from my kitchen, and then try in the field afterwards.
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    How can I ever get lost when everyone is always telling me where to go?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bloffy13 For This Useful Post:

sami12 (16-11-17),Wentworth (Yesterday)

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    G'day all. Yesterday I started the challenge to see how I go.
    The parameters I have set myself are:
    As far as possible, I will use only the dry goods I posted earlier.
    The variations to that are that I have substituted a 350g McKenzies SuperBlend Protein lentils, quinoa and beans for the beans and I switched the spirals for risoni. Also am using garlic and herb salt for more flavour.
    I am limiting my cooking to my frypan and my GSI cup and am trialling a 425g tin can billy which fits perfectly on the base of my water bottle but so far haven't used it.
    As I am cooking this inside and my good wife wouldn't appreciate me lighting a cookfire on the kitchen floor, I am using just the smallest burner on the stove.
    Also, water is unlimited and I am using the kettle not a billy.
    I have also used two eggs so far. Will have to work out how to carry them but there are any number of carriers out there. Hmmmm, wondering if it's possible to dehydrate egg easily... Mr Google?
    I am also finding that I need a chopping board/plate and possibly a spatula. Not a biggy. I could make them in the bush but probably easier to get some small ones which weigh virtually nothing.
    Thankfully Mrs Bloffy is at the mother in laws... neither would probably appreciate the mess.....
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    Last edited by Bloffy13; 19-11-17 at 02:02 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bloffy13 For This Useful Post:

Thrud (19-11-17),Wentworth (Yesterday)

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,761 Times in 760 Posts
    There is dehydated egg!

A few years ago Uneekwahn waged and won a titanic battle against customs when we imported a box. Very good and not like the powdered egg of yesteryear.

As for diy dehydrated egg...

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    Now to the diet so far.
    Measurements are rule of thumb and my best guess. TBL = Tablespoon, tspn = teaspoon, rough measure on my spork. My imitation Jetboil has measures marked in the cup, as does my Sea to Summit collapsible cup. At home, I am using a 1/2 cup measure.
    I am not including any water I drink, but usually about 1 litre a day, depending on workload)
    SATURDAY: Breakfast: Rolled oats (1/2 cup rolled oats, heaped spoon of powdered milk - threw in a banana too, figured I would carry it day one) and coffee (1 tspn coffee, 1 tspn milk).
    Lunch: Mock mock fish (1/3 cup Deb dehydrated potato, 1/2 onion (fresh - dehydrating 2 onions as I write), 1 egg, water to a thick but wet mix, dry fry), coffee (1tspn coffee, 1 tspn milk)
    Dinner: McKenzie mix with roo jerky (~1/3 cup McKenzie mix, boiled ~15mins, 3 strips roo, a sml shake of dehydrated peas). Semolina (1 TBS semolina, 1 TBS milk. Cheated a bit and added 1 tspn plum jam).
    Supper: Black Earl Grey tea and a Tim Tam (how did that get in my dilly bag?)
    3 x rum and cola (Out bush it would be straight or mixed with water).
    SUNDAY: Breakfast: Pancakes (1/2 cup SR flour, 1 egg, 2 pinches raw sugar, tiny drizzle of oil) this made 4 thick pancakes - I am SOOOO full at the moment. Coffee (1tspn coffee, 1tspn milk).
    Lunch: Bannock (1 cup SR flour, 1 tsp baking powder, big pinch of salt, 1/4 cup milk powder, 1 TBSP butter, drizzle of oil). Tricky part with this was trying to balance it on the stove so the pan didn't get too hot. I didn't get started until about 2pm and nearly 3pm before I took it off. Around a fire, it would probably cook quicker. Add a single serve of honey. Yummy. Only going to eat half. The other is for tomorrow's lunch. Coffee (1 tspn coffee, 1 tspn milk)
    Dinner: Risoni jerky (5 TBS risoni, 4 strips of roo jerky, dehyd peas, dehyd onions). Very filling.
    Supper: Coffee (1tspn coffee, 1tspn milk) Tim Tam (I keep finding them, somehow)
    2 x rum and cola.
    MONDAY: Breakfast: Rolled oats (1/2 cup, pinch of sugar), coffee (1tsp coffee, 1tsp milk).
    Morning tea: coffee (1tsp coffee, 1tsp milk),
    Lunch: Bannock with single serve vegemite.
    Afternoon tea: Sausage roll (curse you empty fuel tank and strategically placed bain marie).
    Dinner: McKenzie Mix with peas and onion soup (~1/3 cup mix, handful of peas and lge pinch of onions, ~1/3 cup risoni, two small pinches of garlic and herb salt.), semolina (1tsp semolina, 1tsp milk, 2 sml pinches sugar.)
    Supper: Earl Grey tea, another one of those Tim Tams.
    1 x rum and cola. (I don't normally drink during the week but is has been one helluva busy day - also the reason behind the sausage roll).
    TUESDAY: Breakfast: Rolled oats (with a small handful of scroggin. I thought about it and have regularly walked with it. It fits within the dry challenge in as much as it doesn't need refrigeration, has a long shelf life and can be used in a variety of ways.) Coffee (1tsp coffee, 1tsp milk).
    Morning tea: Scroggin (a few small handfuls). Coffee (1tsp coffee, 1tsp milk).
    Lunch: Fried rice (~1/3 cup rice, handful of dried peas, dried onion, reconstituted dehyd (1) egg, 2 pinches of garlic and herb salt - boiled, drained and fried, quickly prepared at breakfast, about 10 minutes, yummy), coffee (1tsp coffee, 1tsp milk).
    Afternoon tea: Scroggin (a few small handfuls). Coffee (1tsp coffee, 1tsp milk).
    Dinner: Chicken schnitzel (had to cook it up before it went off) with peas, onions and potato served separately (2TBS peas, large pinch of onion, 2TBS Deb potato, 2tsp milk to thicken the potato). Dessert: (left over custard).
    Supper: coffee (1tsp coffee, 1tsp milk) (bugger, ran out of Tim Tams.)
    Last edited by Bloffy13; Yesterday at 11:54 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bloffy13 For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (20-11-17),Thrud (20-11-17)

Mors Kochanski

Thanks
    I have seen eggs stored in bottles. so you dont need to worry about keeping them intact.
    crack and pour into the bottle. looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    I will re-edit the above to continue adding to menu as I go. As MDU and Chris can attest, I am a crap cook and I am making this up as I go, so any and all suggestions appreciated. Mr Google is getting a workout at the moment.
    Also, if anyone is a nutritionist or otherwise, feel free to chip in. As long as I am full, I am not fussy. If I can make it healthier, then all the better.
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    Last edited by Bloffy13; 19-11-17 at 02:40 PM.

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    Had a look online. Apparently you just blend 6 eggs (I did five, that's what I had), dehyd them for 8-10 hours, reblend into powder. Stores for several months apparently. I'm keen to find out.
    To rehydrate, add water and a drop or two of oil. How much water is the question.
    Cheers
    Bloffy