Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knife blanks

Les Stroud

Thanks
    If anyone was interested , or for further reference , this is a Dave canterbury vid I found from the pathfinder school going through the process of making a knife from 1095 steel .

I like his style as he gets in there and gets it done , and its about as rough and ready as I'd like to get with the whole process too.

Think this is part 2 of this knife which he gives a Scandinavian grind with a homemade jig , and does the forge and tempering .
    I dont intend to become a knife maker to any real degree beyond this so its helped me a lot.

https://youtu.be/b9DCbSdToAs

Les Stroud

Thanks
    While I'm at it , here's a primitive forging link :
    http://www.primitiveways.com/blacksmithing.html

Handy stuff to know.
    I can definitely see the fascination , one thing leads to another

Mors Kochanski

Thanks
    What about getting the blade heat treated by someone? There used to be a place in Melbourne that did knives, or find a knife maker who can help you out. That way you get to do most of the work yourself.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Askew For This Useful Post:

Kindling (14-10-17)

Ray Mears

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Askew View Post
    What about getting the blade heat treated by someone? There used to be a place in Melbourne that did knives, or find a knife maker who can help you out. That way you get to do most of the work yourself.
    We used to use a Spring Maker to heat treat one off jobs. I don’t know how many of them are left in Australia though. I know the one we used is long gone and there is a bloc of units on the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rurik For This Useful Post:

Kindling (14-10-17)

Malcolm Douglas

Thanks
    Hills heat treatment in Bayswater, Vic.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Del Raso Knives For This Useful Post:

Kindling (14-10-17)

Les Stroud

Thanks
    Sounds like a sensible way to go about it.
    Thanks for the help guys thats what I'll do .

Rüdiger Nehberg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindling View Post
    If anyone was interested , or for further reference , this is a Dave canterbury vid I found from the pathfinder school going through the process of making a knife from 1095 steel .

I like his style as he gets in there and gets it done , and its about as rough and ready as I'd like to get with the whole process too.

Think this is part 2 of this knife which he gives a Scandinavian grind with a homemade jig , and does the forge and tempering .
    I dont intend to become a knife maker to any real degree beyond this so its helped me a lot.

https://youtu.be/b9DCbSdToAs
    If knife making videos are something you're after, I suggest you go no further than Walter Sorrells. Time spent looking through his back catalogue of videos will be well spent. He has something for everyone from using only hand tools right through to CNC.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkL...4hStBfs8TCnT9Q

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biggles1024 For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (19-10-17),Kindling (16-10-17)

Les Stroud

Thanks
    Thanks for the tip. Especially interested in the basic tools type stuff.

Les Stroud

Thanks
    I watched a few of the Walter sorrels vids thanks .
    Watched him make a knife with all hand tools even including drilling the pin holes with a hand drill.
    Found myself in the shed after that lot , cutting out an fs commando knife from an old ride on mower cutting blade.
    Managed to get a 6 1/2 inch blade before the centre hole .
    Have access to a stone wheel really old little bench grinder which works really slowly . so its almost impossible to get carried away and ruin it which suits me fine for now.
    I've roughed the shape out , and will like to try the ground hole primitive forge fire out for this one .

I don't see any really possibility of getting the centre ridge line perfect in the grinding of the twin edges . so I'll see what can be done , its going to be a slow process , and as the fs commando knives have a particular vase shaped handle I don't imagine that will be realistic either .
    Maybe more like a welded piece of steel handle pipe perhaps with a nut welded on the back in that spirit.

Anyway It's good fun and I've got to say , making mistakes teaches me a lot .
    Things to check for and get right in the beginning etc ,
    For later trials.
    I didn't really expect to be doing this one , however its good practice and as the weather had it.

Heres the rough shape . a little more to take off the outline tomorrow.
    Will have. Practice putting edges on too. Cut out done with small angle grinder.

IMG_20171017_192240.jpg

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kindling For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (19-10-17),biggles1024 (18-10-17)