Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Places to camp around perth

Les Stroud
    Thanks
    Its a fabulous spot, somewhat spoiled by the riff-raff (read Bogans) and motor cross/quad bike brigade. Still the latter cleared off eventually and we left the former a long way behind.

A super dark night with bazillions of stars (so many we couldn't pick out the Southern Cross) but we did see a handful of satellites doing their thing.

We were kept Company for a good part of the afternoon/evening by a bunch of Kookaburras (who were clearly taking the piss at Bloffy's card playing skills) and a couple of Mopokes that were having a bit of back and forth. Bloffy was quick to point out that these were not Cuckoos! Doh, only took 11 years for that misconception to be corrected.......but they do sound a lot like Cuckoos!

Put my new Spartan 1 man tent through its paces and I was super impressed. Minutes to put up and take down and combined with a super compact and light weight inflatable sleeping pad and equally light and compact sleeping bag, I actually had a very good nights sleep (for a change). This is what I will be taking on my Bibb Track walk as combined it all weighs a little less than 2.2kg and fits nicely in the backpack.

Other highlights included the first sampling of my dehydrated meals. Worked perfectly and tasted just as good as the day they were made. A simple fried rice with chopped ham and veggies for lunch and a Chilli Con Carne for dinner. Also took a bottle of O'Donnells Irish Cream ($12 from Aldi) and that went down an absolute treat and perhaps helped with the sleeping!!

All in all another good weekend (without the Bushcraft element) but a real pity that it was just me and Bloffy again...! This is my 3rd outing now since joining the group last year and its been just me and Bloffy (1st and 3rd outing) with MDU joining us in the middle.

Come on WA! Lets make a bit of a bloody effort. Bloffy has suggested a Family friendly meet, so lets make it happen (but not between the 03-10 April cos I'll be doing my walk)!
    Last edited by Chris8546; 24-01-18 at 02:02 PM.

Les Stroud
    Thanks
    Last edited by Chris8546; 05-02-18 at 03:14 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris8546 For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (25-01-18),Thrud (25-01-18)

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,493 Times in 783 Posts
    Your pix came up good Chris. Nice work.
    I think the O'Donnels should make its way into your pack each time. Very drinkable.
    The Spartan was anything but. Looked the goods, and small enough to use in huts if necessary if you need to keep the mozzies off.
    Thanks for a good weekend.
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    How can I ever get lost when everyone is always telling me where to go?

Mors Kochanski

Thanks
    Good work good. Yeh I need to pull my finger out in the near future for sure. Thanks for sharing the trip info and pics.

Rüdiger Nehberg
    Thanks
    Ah, Marrinup Falls. Did you know that when the Hotham Valley train goes past, all the passengers can see straight down into the waterhole where people were skinny dipping? It happened to a friend.
    If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point. - XKCD

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,493 Times in 783 Posts
    Heard on the news that a woman died at Lane Poole Reserve yesterday.
    https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/...-ng-b88724473z
    Quite a shame.
    How can I ever get lost when everyone is always telling me where to go?

Les Stroud
    Thanks
    How come my photos never appear properly i.e. the correct way round. Is this an iphone issue or am I doing something wrong. Try as I might I cant seem to find any rotate function once they've been imported....

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 786 Posts
    It happens with iPhone. Idk why.
    I don't know/think you can rotate one uploaded.

Les Stroud
    Thanks
    Thanks Thrud