Thread: Tweed / Gold Coast meet up?

Les Stroud

Thanks

Tweed / Gold Coast meet up?

Hey BCoz'

I've recently moved from the west to the east, and am keen to meet up with some members in the Tweed/GC region.

I live in Tweed Heads and I'm keen to meet some like minded people who appreciate the outdoors and get out and about. I haven't explored too far from home yet, spending some of my free time on the weekend on the river in my new mode of transport.

But I'm getting the itch to sling on my pack, pitch a tarp and light a fire somewhere! Also keen to just meet up, go for a paddle or have a beer somewhere too

Cheers guys, Matt

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MJC88 For This Useful Post:

Kindling (22-07-17)

Les Stroud

Thanks
    The canoe looks great , ive been considering that option too as its easier for lugging gear and keeping it dry than the sit atop kayak I currently have. Is that fresh or salt water yabbie pumping ?
    Almost threw the red claw pots in to check it out yesterday , headed home early instead . not sure if you have them down there I believe they might be in somerset dam ?
    Anyway , bit far south for me matt , g.h.

Les Stroud

Thanks
    Yes load carrying ability and overall roominess is certainly one of the benefits of the open canoe. Looking forward to loading her up and try some canoe camping in time to come. Salt water yabbies on the flats here, one claw bigger than the other. Never done it before moving here, fun activity on the low tide and no doubt a great bait. Not sure about the Red claw distribution, I do see quite a few nets washed up on the shore or caught in the mangroves, might be targeting muddies?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MJC88 For This Useful Post:

Kindling (22-07-17)

Malcolm Douglas

Thanks
    Those nippers are IMO the best bait for fishing the estuaries and rivers on the south coast NSW. Never fished in QLD but I am certain they would be killer up there also. Put them on a bait holder and a running sinker and a slow retrieve over sandbanks for the flatties. Or suspend them about 30cm below a float with a tiny hook to bag out on Whiting. I tend to snap off the large claw to avoid the inevitable pinch of the finger.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lever For This Useful Post:

Kindling (22-07-17)

Les Stroud

Thanks
    Yeah with the washed up nets and lines and assorted bits and pieces littering about the place makes a survival situation seem quite do able resource wise along the coasts and some fresh waterways I've often thought. MJC.

I am fond of a flathead in a piece of foil with some butter lever , old favourite its been a while .

Re: the yabbies again " mouth watering" haven't tasted one I did not like yet , if I catch enough for a sandwich with a little salt I'm quite happy enough