Thread: Noongar Bush Medicine (SW of WA)

Rüdiger Nehberg
    Thanks

Noongar Bush Medicine (SW of WA)

Recently published here in the west ...

UWA Publishing
    https://uwap.uwa.edu.au/products/noo...tern-australia

"For over 50,000 years before colonisation, the Noongar people were much healthier than most Aboriginal Australians are today. Living in the open, in a land largely free from disease, they benefited from a better diet, more exercise, less stress and a supportive community.

In Noongar Bush Medicine, the authors have recorded information on many of the medicinal plants that were regularly used by the Noongar people of the south-west of Western Australia. They hope it will ensure that the traditional knowledge is not lost forever with the passing of elders and traditional healers.

Noongar Bush Medicine provides for the first time a comprehensive information on the medicinal plants that were used by Aboriginal people of the south-west of Western Australia before European settlement.

The book is a guide to how to use plants for alternative treatments and protection from common ailments. Written by Noongar elder Vivienne Hansen with retired nurse educator John Horsfall, Noongar Bush Medicine has been compiled from knowledge passed on by Noongar elders and covers over 90 different species and features images of each plant. There is currently no comparable book on plant medicines available
    ."

Just settling into it now with a glass of wadjela medicine.
    Last edited by Redtail; 21-04-17 at 08:55 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point. - XKCD

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Redtail For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (26-04-17),biggles1024 (22-04-17),Browny (05-05-17),Thrud (26-04-17)

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 739 Posts
    I was speaking with a Noongar bloke the other week. He was telling me he had lost about 40kg just by changing his diet to a more traditional one, incorporating more indigenous foods, a more traditional way of eating and cutting out booze. He went from 120+kg to just on 80kg. He was also telling me that he uses traditional medicines for common ailments. He runs a tour business. I got his business card and will follow up with him in the future to learn more. His traditional area is actually around the area where we will be holding our upcoming bushcrafting meet. Nice bloke with an interesting story.
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    How can I ever get lost when everyone is always telling me where to go?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bloffy13 For This Useful Post:

Doc (04-05-17),MongooseDownUnder (24-04-17)

Rüdiger Nehberg
    Thanks
    Any chance we can get him along to the meeting? Maybe hire him for the day / half-day?
    If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point. - XKCD

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 739 Posts
    Good idea. I don't know how much he charges but I did mention that we were going to the lake. That is how we got on to the subject. I'm home from work today with a bad case of man flu but will give him a call tomorrow. Would everyone else be up for this?
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    How can I ever get lost when everyone is always telling me where to go?