Thread: Some Work With Emu Hide

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,910 Times in 777 Posts

Some Work With Emu Hide

You guys my like some of the stuff I have been doing with emu..

DSCN0009 (1).jpg

DSCN9966.jpg

DSCN9954.jpg
    Howling Dingo shop,Gear made from natural things to take to wild places..

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HowlingDingo

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Howling Dingo For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (05-10-16),Greatbloke (05-10-16),Mozzie (05-10-16),Taplow (10-10-16),Thrud (05-10-16)

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    its nice leather for gloves. but i dont know how tough it is in the range of soft leather when compared to kangaroo for example.

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by julius View Post
    its nice leather for gloves. but i dont know how tough it is in the range of soft leather when compared to kangaroo for example.
    Kangaroo is one of the strongest leathers out there in the world,it is thin but very strong. Traditionally it was used for whips and making stockman's belts. But in more modern times has been used for such things as really high end football boots.Emu is not the strong but few leathers are as tough as kangaroo..I like the grain on emu and it has a real character and it has this strange stretchy property..It is good for small pouches to keep gear like tinder,tea/coffee of fire kits.It would be no good for bigger projects as it has this stretchy property..Every leather has it use and its characteristics..

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Howling Dingo For This Useful Post:

peter.robinson (10-10-16),Taplow (10-10-16)

Russell Coight

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howling Dingo View Post
    Kangaroo is one of the strongest leathers out there in the world,it is thin but very strong. Traditionally it was used for whips and making stockman's belts. But in more modern times has been used for such things as really high end football boots.Emu is not the strong but few leathers are as tough as kangaroo..I like the grain on emu and it has a real character and it has this strange stretchy property..It is good for small pouches to keep gear like tinder,tea/coffee of fire kits.It would be no good for bigger projects as it has this stretchy property..Every leather has it use and its characteristics..
    Even though kangaroo is readily available cause there is just so many of them they are very expensive as a leather at the moment in Leather factory I wonder why maybe because of the demand of tourists wanting a bit of Australiana but it should be cheap as there is just so many of them out there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russell Coight

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathercrafter View Post
    Even though kangaroo is readily available cause there is just so many of them they are very expensive as a leather at the moment in Leather factory I wonder why maybe because of the demand of tourists wanting a bit of Australiana but it should be cheap as there is just so many of them out there...

The reason why kangaroo leather is so expensive is:
    Yes the tourism industry but that's not the only reason.

The main reason is because this country finds it cheaper to tan overseas and the pollution stays over there too. Then they ship it back here only to go through strict custom rules and regulations and costs. I think it's a joke wake up Australia.

The other reason is people pay top dollar to get hides that are perfect. 1 out of say for arguments sake 10 kangaroos pelts are perfect mainly because kangaroos have a tendency to fit, rub up on barb wire etc... for the average leather worker this add character to our products but it also means we pay a lot of money for the hides.

If there is a farmer out there that can kill and ta his own hides he would make a bit of spare change as I would buy kangaroo leather Of him for $50 a piece but who's wishing.

Anyway the cow hide industry relies on the meat market to set their prices.

Where the hell do I get emu leather or hide from and if you have some drop me a line I would love to get some to try.

Plus anyone wanting to get croc hide/ leather this is also harder and harder to get due to the same as the kangaroo leather.

John McDouall Stuart
    Thanks
    Try Birdsall Leather at Botany, NSW. They might be able to get it or advise you where to get it.
    Thank Goodness For Australian Hardwoods!

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    Some leathers are hard to track down sometimes and market forces control prices.Birdsall Leather is a great shop ,and they sell online as well..