Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: quick drying pants

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by biggles1024 View Post
    Rivers had nothing like this the last time I looked at their website. I think I will check these out for myself tomorrow.

https://secure.rivers.com.au/catalog...PS=335&G=1mens
    Yup that's them, got both the khaki and black versions.

The Army rip stop shorts and pants are great items and getting to find here unless knock offs

Rüdiger Nehberg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oncedisturbed View Post
    Yup that's them, got both the khaki and black versions.

The Army rip stop shorts and pants are great items and getting to find here unless knock offs
    The disadvantage with zip offs is that you need to find somewhere dry to sit, then (probably) need to remove your footwear, zip the trouser leg off, stow the trouser leg in your pack or somewhere else, then put your boots back on. The roll up style of trouser is more to my liking because it doesn't suffer any of the disadvantages of zip offs but doesn't provide as much cooling because you don't expose as much skin to the air. In addition, some people don't like the bulk of the rolled up trouser leg around their legs whilst they're walking. Any trousers can be made into roll ups which is also something to consider.

Ray Mears

Thanks
    I don't mind the zip off leg style, I tend to find that I want the lower legs on or off. I don't tend to take them off just to cross something and then put them back on.

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 750 Posts
    Thanks Biggles. Pulled the trigger on two pairs of the khaki pants for $40 each and free freight and a bonus At that price I can keep a good pair and another for going bush (just don't mix em up).
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    How can I ever get lost when everyone is always telling me where to go?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloffy13 For This Useful Post:

biggles1024 (07-03-16)

Russell Coight

Thanks
    Hi,

I'm still on the hunt. I got some cheap quick dry pants second hand (don't know what brand), decided to try them out and found it's actually not quite what I'm after. They were a LOT more comfortable in the wet than jeans but did they keep me warm? No. In summer I'm usually in board shorts (now that's quick dry!) but I need something for the colder months. I have icebreaker tops that keep me warm even when soaking wet, is there something equivalent in pants? I searched for wool pants and what I found is 1940s army surplus and manager type trousers.

Also, the other day at Kmart I found some $ 30 cordura tradie type pants. Any good?

I guess I'm being picky as I try to find pants that hold up outside and are 'acceptable' when I have to be social. I hate shopping and 'own' ten thousand different 'things'.

I suppose a pair of quick drying ones with polypro thermals underneath might do the trick. What do you think?

Never Alone In The Bush
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,193 Times in 1,641 Posts
    Hi Karl,

Cordura is basically canvas, so its probably going to be cold when wet.

A few friends of mine wear quick dry pants with poly thermals underneath, personally I find that uncomfortable.

Russell Coight

Thanks
    Whilst expensive, I've found 5.11's Taclite Pro pants to be quick drying, but you've gotta spend some decent time in water for the material to actually soak first!
    After the rain from cyclone Debbie, I went knee deep through water for about 100m and it just sheds water.
    Only mod I can think to do is adding elastic to blouse the hem and slow down any leeches or other crawlies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Russell Coight

Thanks
    Agree with the craghoppers comments, I use their hiking trousers all the time and I've found their pretty good when going through lantana and bad scrub.

Les Stroud

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy J View Post
    Agree with the craghoppers comments, I use their hiking trousers all the time and I've found their pretty good when going through lantana and bad scrub.
    I have a pair, they also have an anti insect repellent too which is handy, I don't bother with shorts out bush, too many ticks in summer and glad of the warmth in winter, mine came with a cool little dry bag for your phone too, the other hike pants I wear and absolutey love, are the ones which I think are based on Fjallravens and Anacondas own brand, they say they are semi water proof, tough as nails, loads pof pockets, optional gater/boot clips, axe/folding saw pocket and double knees (which Ive fashioned knee pads out of and old wet suit!) Cederberg is the brand, got mine on special for $40!!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foxtrot65 For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (22-07-17),barefoot dave (20-07-17),biggles1024 (21-07-17),swampy99 (22-07-17)

John McDouall Stuart
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot65 View Post
    I have a pair, they also have an anti insect repellent too which is handy, I don't bother with shorts out bush, too many ticks in summer and glad of the warmth in winter, mine came with a cool little dry bag for your phone too, the other hike pants I wear and absolutey love, are the ones which I think are based on Fjallravens and Anacondas own brand, they say they are semi water proof, tough as nails, loads pof pockets, optional gater/boot clips, axe/folding saw pocket and double knees (which Ive fashioned knee pads out of and old wet suit!) Cederberg is the brand, got mine on special for $40!!
    I have these troos as well and had them on for my time in Nepal but I must say after day 6 in the heat and dirt of the Kathmandu valley they did start to honk a bit but other than that a quick river crossing sorted that problem out.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to swampy99 For This Useful Post:

Foxtrot65 (13-08-17)