Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Xanthorrhoea - I Canít believe its not fatwood !

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    Yeah the nut section in the supermarket sure is !
    Except maybe the salted peanuts , and macadamias being a native too , might be a demand overseas for them .
    All in all it was a good days fossicking also found a nice giant passionfruit vine taking over a tree at the back of a big green hardware store which provided some seeds which will be getting planted next bush trip .
    Another venture in mind was putting pumpkins around a local water hole for readily available redclaw bait when in the area , however I never do understand why the local wild rats etc . seem to dig the seeds up before they get a chance to get going even amongst all the other greenery.

Mors Kochanski

Thanks
    Hi,

Are you thinking of planting exotic species in the bush?

Not so sure that that is a good idea given the problems that exotic plants have caused in the past.

KB

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    Hi , yes it depends on location and situation .

Mors Kochanski

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindling View Post
    Hi , yes it depends on location and situation .
    Could you elaborate on this a bit?

KB

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    We live in the bush . its a good idea.

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    I realise this thread started about something else ,
    And after the parameters get expanded and I or somebody else replies we go a bit wayward from the original topic , so I apologise if that's the case and anyone's not feeling it.
    Koalaboi , I have a couple local passionfruits I will get pics of when possible , and share .
    Ones the small orange ground crawling variety , which doesn't yield much .
    I've even seen as far south as sunshine beach sanddunes on sunshine coast qld.
    The other is what appears to me to be passionfruit , as they are big fruit , I know the bats like them , they are green fruit , smell like passionfruit , yet are white inside with the same to me looking seeds .
    Maybe they're a hybrid , or domestic variety gone wild I'm nor sure . the leave formation is the same thumb pointer looking again to me as the regular purples etc.
    As I come across them in the edge of a rainforest , so would be nice to know if they're safe to eat.
    I read they're naturalised , or become like a weed down NSW some places . maybe its a imitation looking native species , maybe not . I'll try recover pics soon .
    Again apologies to the starter of this thread if we've wandered too far and stick the thread elsewhere or whatever suits if that's the case.
    Last edited by Kindling; 15-08-17 at 09:30 PM.