Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easy to carry firestarters

Russell Coight

Thanks
    I just use my cotton ball with vasolene as a fire starter and also rub them on my knife after the days work to keep rust at bay.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bushcrafting around For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (28-04-15),Cam (28-04-15),Greatbloke (28-04-15)

Russell Coight

Thanks
    Cotton makeup removal pads with vaseline in the middle work pretty well. Or soaked in hot wax.

Just need to open them up (butterfly them) before hitting them with a ferro rod

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AJamesBrown For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (03-05-15)

Malcolm Douglas

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifecraft View Post
    Thanks for the reviews. I've not tried those types of items yet for firestarting.
    I like that they're dual use, because they can be used for first aid and hygiene as well.

I do think everyone needs to have something in their kit that helps to get a fire started when everything around them is soaking wet.
    It's easy to light a fire in good weather when surrounded by sticks, bark, etc. but it's when everything is soaked (including yourself) then a fire becomes absolutely critical.

I've made the firestarters from cotton balls soaked in vaseline, then covered with tape. They work well but I'd prefer not to be burning tape if I can avoid it.

An alternative approach I want to try is soak the cotton balls in vaseline, then squash them flat, then dunk them in melted wax. That way the wax stops the vaseline from going everywhere.
    Then to light them just rip them in half breaking the wax apart exposing the vaseline.

The reason for squashing them flat is that they'll fit better into a kit than a round wax coated ball.
    If/when I get around to trying that I'll post a review.
    Hi life craft

I use this trick, its great if you dont mind a bit of fiddling in the shed, and it stands up to wear and tear, stops vaseline leaking out everywhere on hot days when your ziplock bag bursts:
    20170324_174210 (2).jpg

squash the straw flat in needle nose pliers, with a couple of mm sticking out, Melt with lighter and smooth it over the pliers. Cut it off about 30mm lomg, then, using a chopstick, push the vaseline soaked cotton balls into the straw. Easier if u kind of roll the ball into a long thread first. Once it's all in....IMPORTANT.....make sure you wipe off the excess vaseline that is on the outside of the straw (if you don't it will light up when you melt the end) then squash and melt over the open end, same as the first. When you need it, cut it open with your knife, pull out the wool, spread and light. Rub the excess on your poor chapped outdoorsman's lips, and all is good!

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sinkhole For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (27-03-17),Bloffy13 (27-03-17),MongooseDownUnder (25-03-17),peter.robinson (26-03-17),Thrud (25-03-17)

Russell Coight

Thanks
    I have been using the cotton make up pads but what I do is rub vaseline onto the pad and then roll it up like a smoke with the vaseline on the inside, then tie it up with butchers twine (cotton twine) then dunk the whole lot into melted wax using the excess twine to hold onto when dunking. Once cooled cut the twine back the where it is covered in wax this can the acted as a wick to light with a match. If you are using a fero rod just pull it apart to expose some cotton. these burn for about 5-8 minutes giving you heaps of time to get your fire going.
    Also because they are cover in wax the are totally water proof, you can submerge them and they will still work.
    I will take some photos on the weekend to show you what i mean.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rum Pig For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (17-05-17),barefoot dave (18-05-17),Verge (19-05-17)

Russell Coight

Thanks
    Has anyone tried Tallow?