Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jerky Recipes and Techniques, please share...

Russell Coight

Thanks
    Well... It's not exactly a hard recipe. Very similar to most jerky recipes.

BILTONG:

Ingredients:
    • At least 1kg of meat, gives you a good yield
    • Steak spice
    • Brown/malt vinegar
    • Worcestershire Sauce
    • Cracked black pepper
    • Salt

1. Find a nice sized tupperware container. (if doing this in the bush, just rub the spices on to the meat. Disregard all the prep.)
    2. Cut the meat down to the length of the tupperware. Lay one layer down.
    3. Using a spray bottle, spray some vinegar over the meat, then sprinkle spice and the Worcester sauce over it.
    4. Adding layers of meat, repeat the spicing steps until you run out of meat. Leave for at least an hour, but it's best overnight.
    5. Find a warm, dry area to hang the meat. Ideally, this should be insect proof (for obvious reasons), but if you're at a campsite, you could easily rig something up Make sure there's space between the meat to ensure even drying.
    6. Bare minimum drying time is 1 day, but the meat will still be quite "wet" at this point. Best time is about 3 days at a 30 degree average temperature.
    7. Spray periodically through the drying stage with vinegar to repel flies and mold that might want to grow. (Never happens, but can never be too careful.)
    8. Enjoy!

Obviously you can add chilli powder, or different spices for different tastes. It's quite enjoyable to go through and taste different recipes. Plain salt and pepper biltong can never go wrong! Slice thinly with your (undoubtedly) sharp knife, or cut into rough little strips. Store out of sunlight, and it should keep for quite a while.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SafferDownUnder For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (01-07-15),Keggsy (18-08-15),Kindling (13-05-17)

Russell Coight

Thanks
    Giving this ago - for the second time. Meat is yearling Beef, looks pretty lean. Sourced from when I found a supply of Suet.
    Cut a bit thick from the butcher 5mm+ so handy with the wood mallet and a plastic bag to thin it down to less than 5mm
    Trying this out in the dehydrator today. Kicked off at 11am and now 4:30pm, it's still bendy, but thinner pieces are starting to get a slight crack. I want to dry the meat thoroughly for pemmican and essentially powder it.
    Jerky.jpg

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Verge For This Useful Post:

biggles1024 (09-05-17),peter.robinson (08-05-17)

Malcolm Douglas

Thanks
    I follow this guys recipe. An absolute treat.

I don't own a dehydrator, and this works so well. I've made it several times and hasn't failed me. The silver-side costs me $13.99/kg from my butcher with no fat and makes a decent serve.

See a couple of pics below as my latest batch was drying out.

IMG_4043.jpg

IMG_4044.jpg

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rubbing Elbows For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (10-05-17),biggles1024 (10-05-17),Greatbloke (13-05-17),Kindling (13-05-17),maysfire (12-05-17),peter.robinson (10-05-17),Taplow (10-05-17),Verge (12-05-17)

Russell Coight

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Rubbing Elbows;97425]I follow this guys recipe. An absolute treat.

Looks tasty. How do you store yours after you have made it - and what kind of shelf life does it have?

Malcolm Douglas

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Verge;97464]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubbing Elbows View Post
    I follow this guys recipe. An absolute treat.

Looks tasty. How do you store yours after you have made it - and what kind of shelf life does it have?
    I store it in brown paper bags in the fridge for up to a week(1 kilogram usually goes in a week) or if you're more controlled and tend to keep it for longer than a week, then a sealed glass jar will do the trick for a few months

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rubbing Elbows For This Useful Post:

Verge (14-05-17)

Les Stroud

Thanks
    Great posts thanks !