Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's your preferred cordage for a small kit?

Jack Abasalom
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 634 Posts
    kiwibro, how do you finish the ends of your paracord shoe laces? I was thinking of trying heat shrink tube.
    Bush Class USA Basic Certified

John McDouall Stuart

Thanks
    kiwibro, how do you finish the ends of your paracord shoe laces? I was thinking of trying heat shrink tube.
    I wonder whether you could tie some cord between 2 fixed objects (maybe table legs or something), so that it's tight and won't move.
    Then wrap tape tightly around the cord in the middle. Then cut the cord in the middle of the taped section, giving you 2 taped ends.
    Repeat the process on another section of the cord and you'll have a piece of cord with both ends taped.
    I don't know if it would work, and you would have to wrap it tight. But it might.
    Last edited by Lifecraft; 19-12-14 at 09:44 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lifecraft For This Useful Post:

Greatbloke (19-12-14)

Mors Kochanski

Thanks
    I have used bootlace type electrical crimp lugs but I just burn the ends and mold then into a cone shape with my fingers. Heaps easier that way.
    get a dog or two. then you will be too busy yelling at the mutts to realise how difficult starting the fire really was.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwibro For This Useful Post:

Greatbloke (19-12-14)

Lofty Wiseman
    Thanks
    Have you seen the nano cord and micro cord? They have reasonable breaking strains and super light, super thin structure. like this one... 100lb break, and 1.18mm thick
    http://www.atwoodrope.net/shop/item....live-drab/459/

A few guys on Bushcraft USA put me onto it, and its on my to try list!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArcheRoo For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (19-12-14),Greatbloke (21-12-14)

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    I guess I should have said it this way,by trading your shoe laces out for para cord,you never need go without shoelaces,but you gain several extra feet of inner strand cordage.By wrapping all of tools,and my walking stick,plus both boots,I have not only placed my cordage in separate locations ( prevents loss ), but if needed,slip the inner strands out of the string sheath.I still have shoe laces( the outer sheath) and now have the inner strands for use.As far as knots go,perhaps I'm lucky ,but I've never noticed my para cord laces coming untied,but I double knot the bow,works very well for me.

John McDouall Stuart

Thanks
    It doesn't seem to hold a knot as good as my regular bootlaces and if I'm in a tight spot, I'm not keen on the idea of wearing shoes with no laces.
    Have you seen this? He explains a better way to tie shoelaces.
    http://www.ted.com/talks/terry_moore...tie_your_shoes
    Fairly sure it's slightly different to how I used to tie my shoes.

I found that a few months ago but I'm yet to try doing it that way. (I haven't worn shoes since I found it.)
    It might help though. Let us know if it holds a knot better.

Russell Coight

Thanks
    I have used 80kg kite string from eBay it's about $6 and I have made beds and recliner chairs with it and comes in 400m rolls and takes up as much room as braided fishing line but ties and unties really well plus holds knots well.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Summitslacker For This Useful Post:

Ben Dono (04-01-18),Bloffy13 (05-01-18),peter.robinson (09-01-18)

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks

What's your preferred cordage for a small kit?

I have been using comms cord a lot lately, it is strong lightweight and doesnít take up much space. The only downside to it is that it canít be pulled apart into useable smaller single strands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russell Coight

Thanks
    To date, I've been an old fashioned hootchie, paracord and mono fishing line guy. Yes, I have some fishing braid, kite cord and Bunnings brick-layers twine too. What are peoples' experiences with various types of of Kevlar mono and multi-strand? Seems that can be used for friction saws.