Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Footwear - what works for you?

Russell Coight

Thanks
    gday guys I just did a 25 k hike with pack .it was wet and I was wearing hi tech boots,my feet were soaked through by about half way and skin on my feet very tender.what can I do to stop this ?I sprayed waterproofing on them before I left but seemed to make little or no difference,and this was only through wet grass.thanks

John McDouall Stuart
    Thanks
    Try seal skin socks but again your feet could get hot an sweaty, I tried a pair in the malaysian rainforest and my feet got too hot and sweaty. Best thing is a got foot regime that at night boots off and dry and powder use a foo foo bag

This is what I did in the jungle and my feet were wet all day even did a 2km river wade and had nil problems with feet.

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    In wet grass the only thing I have used that has worked is goretex lined boots but then you have the issue of wet feet from sweat. Although your feet will get damp from the sweat its not as bad as soaking wet and nothing a good pair of wool socks and regular airing of the feet and sock changes wont fix.

Les Hiddins
    Thanks
    My preference is trail runners and merino wool socks. The runners get wet but dry quickly and the wool socks will keep your feet decently warm and help prevent blisters.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Les Stroud
    Thanks
    Traditional European leather hiking boots where the outer boot and the tongue are one piece and not stitched in are best in my opinion however expensive but worth all you pay, I wear Zamberlan's and are the best I've owned.
    As mentioned Gore lined boots work well but can be hot to wear, get some quality socks and a pair of Gaiters. Gaiters are also great for scrub and of coarse serpents.
    Regards,
    Bodge.

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    For socks I use the "Darn Tough" brand and found them to be very good, I wear boots daily and never had any issues with them.

Boots I wear are a set of Mongrel, side zip tac boots or a pair of Rivers (forget the version but they've got thermalight lining), again both very good for me

Never underestimate the power of the tap, let it flow through you.

Never Alone In The Bush
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,232 Times in 1,654 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza 1 View Post
    gday guys I just did a 25 k hike with pack .it was wet and I was wearing hi tech boots,my feet were soaked through by about half way and skin on my feet very tender.what can I do to stop this ?I sprayed waterproofing on them before I left but seemed to make little or no difference,and this was only through wet grass.thanks
    Most spray waterproofing is not very good on boots IMO !

Try something like a "wax" which you get in a tin and need to rub in/on. There are several available from outdoor shops, or even some supermarkets (like dubbin or nikwax etc)

Usually its best to let the wax soak in overnight at home (where its fairly warm). This provides a much better protection.
    If its really wet (like the wet grass), you may need to re-apply after a day or 2

Mors Kochanski
    Thanks
    I wear woodland Indian center seam moccasins. I make them myself. They are quiet in the bush & don't leave an obvious track like modern boots. They are comfortable & light. I carry an extra pair on my pack. The flaps wrap around my lower leg & add extra protection against snake bite.
    Keith.
    Moccasins 1.jpgMoccasin soles 1.jpg
    "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less travelled by,
    And that has made all the difference".
    Robert Frost

http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Le Loup For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (24-09-17),Ben Dono (23-09-17),biggles1024 (24-09-17),Bloffy13 (10-12-17),GTVi (24-09-17),Kindling (23-09-17),MongooseDownUnder (24-09-17),Thrud (24-09-17),Wentworth (24-09-17)

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    The redback Terra aus army boots work for me .
    Light , very supportive , getting cheap on eBay .
    Made from kangaroo and buffalo hide ,
    Ordered a pair 13mm longer than my foot as it turns out in the " mondo point" measurements they fit me perfect.
    I'm finding them very comfortable too.
    I like the fact that they don't have puffy insides liners that can wear out before the rest of the boots done .

My last couple leather boots , I'd cut an old rubber basketball into heel inserts and glued them in to cure that issue and prolong their lives .

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,462 Times in 765 Posts
    Le Loup, those moccasins are awesome. Gotta get me some.
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    How can I ever get lost when everyone is always telling me where to go?