Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Canoe - Wenonah Prospector 15

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,599 Times in 594 Posts

New Canoe - Wenonah Prospector 15

Hi Everyone,

So I have been looking around at canoes over the last week, thinking that I deserved at least a little bit of a spend out of the tax return

My main items on the wants list were …. Light (easy to load), rocker (so it looks the bushcrafty part) and secondary stability (so I can get it up on its side when solo paddling).

I started shopping with weight being the main priority and after always wishing for a Royalex canoe I was on a mission.

The Wenonah range had a couple of options that seemed to be candidates. So I made contact with Paddle and Portage Canoes (No affiliation, but I do highly recommended). After a few phone calls with Travis I decided that I should head down to Robertson to check a few of them out.

It was a line up between the Heron and the Prospector, both 15' and the same weight. The Heron was already out and he had his own personal 16' Prospector out so I could see the lines of both. I had the option of taking either of them for a test paddle on a nearby lake if I wanted, but I didn’t see the need in the end. We looked around his shed there were he has canoes of all types, many high performance Kevlar racing ones which was interesting and others still wrapped in the packaging all the way from Winona, Minnesota. We spoke about the two canoes I was looking at and discovered that a key factor for me between them was the initial and secondary stability; the Heron has good initial and less secondary with the Prospector being the opposite. He asked if it was the green or red that I was looking for (his 16' is red and the Heron he had was a custom order for a hire place and it was blue) Green I said. As it turns out the green Prospector 15' arrived in the most recent shipment and was still in the wrapping from the states... Was cool to be the person who unwrapped it :-). We got it out and I played with it a bit lifting it into my shoulders, which was a breeze. I think that I got caught up in the moment and was just sitting there for a minute looking at it as if ‘oh I wish I could….’ And then realized that was what I was there for, the longing was over!
    Whilst having a look through the shed of dreams (the Paddle and Portage canoe warehouse / workshop) a paddle hanging on the wall caught my eye, it was a Wenonah stamped Ottertail paddle in cherry. These paddles are made by Grey Owl Paddles and have also been on my dreams list for a while and have been the inspiration of the few paddles I have made myself. So I grabbed one of those too…. Just happened to pull a paddle out of the shipping box with the nicest grain I’ve seen in a while.

Thinking I may be able to get home and have a really quick test paddle in at Berowra, I was off!

803254_10151909335204879_1712903538_n.jpg

So up the highway I headed, stopped in at home just to grab my pack and i was off to Berowra. All full of excitement and butterflies I got there and had to take a couple of deep breaths... Getting it off the car and placing is softly on the ramp (foam pad underneath) was just a ‘WOW’ moment. Pushed off and was really happy with the stability when flat and then started to get myself into the paddle and tilt it up. It just felt natural... Fast.... And with it up on the edge I dint really feel like I needed to use a corrective stroke to keep it straight.

565880_10151909335194879_1100247875_n.jpg

Roll around to this morning and I was all set for a good paddle to get to know the new Canoe. I had oiled the new paddle and was looking forward to seeing how it felt.

I headed to Bobbin Head and shot upstream, it’s about 5 k’s each way – nothing massive but enough to get a feel for it. Starting at the Canoe launching area, and easily popping the Prospector on my shoulders and getting away, I was looking forward to getting past the marina and into the paddle rhythm.
    I was amazed at how easy it was to make good time, keep it straight and have the canoe tilted on its side so the Wenonah sticker on the side was getting wet and still have all the control in the world. Maybe it was just my excitement that helped, but I paddled the whole way up without any breaks in paddling on the same side.

1174982_10151917070759879_1106763449_n.jpg

All in all - Its everything I was hoping for. From getting all excited researching, the service and enthusiasm of Travis at Paddle and Portage Canoes to my first couple of outings…

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Lepmeister For This Useful Post:

Benny (11-09-13),Bloffy13 (10-09-13),bubba5603 (28-09-13),Cdustbehindme (10-09-13),Dusty Miller (08-09-13),Hairyman (08-09-13),hillbilly (08-09-13),Jason (banjo) (10-09-13),Mickldo (09-09-13),Mountainwalker (09-09-13),Mozzie (09-09-13),nifty (09-09-13),Wildfire (09-09-13)

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    Gotta love a canoe, congrats on the new craft. If you are on your own carry a big rubber tub/bucket, has many purposes but i also use as ballist in the front full of water, keeps the nose down and straight espeicially in windy conditions. Also good to keep weight in the bottom of canoe for balanvce. One of my most important items in my canoe.
    Last edited by hillbilly; 08-09-13 at 09:20 PM. Reason: added to topic

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Hairyman (08-09-13),Lepmeister (09-09-13)

Bare Frills

Thanks
    Thanked 1,490 Times in 470 Posts
    It sure is a good looking boat.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Phrayzar For This Useful Post:

Lepmeister (09-09-13)

Ray Mears
    Thanks
    Nice one Lep! Definately looks the goods! and by the review sounds that way too Cheers
    In the Coldest Flint burns a raging Fire

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wildfire For This Useful Post:

Lepmeister (09-09-13)

John McDouall Stuart
    Thanks
    Nice canoe
    He who would travel happily must travel light. Antoine de St. Exupery

People are part of everything-stones and storms, mice and mammoths, lichens and linnets. We are what the ancients said we were: Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. But when we fidget, and tamper, and play with great forces, we destroy only our own tomorrows......1973 Helen Hoover, The Years of the Forest.

http://www.ausbushcraft.com/
    https://twitter.com/zenstrider

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mountainwalker For This Useful Post:

Lepmeister (09-09-13)

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 791 Posts
    That looks awesome mate
    “We must remember…that in the end…nature does not belong to us, we belong to it.” - Ray Mears quoting Greyowl

http://mefflinknives.com

http://allthingsgoh.com/2015/02/we-belong-to-it/

https://www.facebook.com/mefflinknives

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pap11y For This Useful Post:

Lepmeister (09-09-13)

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
    Gotta love a canoe, congrats on the new craft. If you are on your own carry a big rubber tub/bucket, has many purposes but i also use as ballist in the front full of water, keeps the nose down and straight espeicially in windy conditions. Also good to keep weight in the bottom of canoe for balanvce. One of my most important items in my canoe.
    Nice tip, thanks for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrayzar View Post
    It sure is a good looking boat.
    I have found myself in the garage just looking at it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire View Post
    Nice one Lep! Definately looks the goods! and by the review sounds that way too Cheers
    The look and feel of it was a big part of the selection, so glad it went as well on water as it does to the eye... Thanks

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,108 Times in 709 Posts
    even looks good on your car

a dry bag makes good ballast as well... storage for dry stuff OR add water for weight.. http://www.redrockstore.com/solopaddling/
    If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, id use the first 6 hours to sharpen my axe.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mozzie For This Useful Post:

hillbilly (09-09-13),Lepmeister (09-09-13)

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozzie View Post
    even looks good on your car

a dry bag makes good ballast as well... storage for dry stuff OR add water for weight.. http://www.redrockstore.com/solopaddling/
    Nice one thanks.

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    And hows the grain in the cherry ottertail paddle I picked up.

image.jpg

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lepmeister For This Useful Post:

Cdustbehindme (10-09-13),Mozzie (09-09-13),Wildfire (09-09-13)