Page 354 of 367 FirstFirst ... 254304344352353354355356364 ... LastLast
Results 3,531 to 3,540 of 3670

Thread: What did you do today?

Bear Mears
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,768 Times in 870 Posts
    Did a little overnighter with a night walk. I was able to get some extra xanthorrhoea for my hand drill set.
    I stopped to hear a Lyre bird doing the whole repertoire of calls.

Quite a chilly night in the bivi, but there was a great view of the stars.
    20180505_164544.jpg

On the way home I had to stop for a family of ducks to cross.
    20180506_084740.jpg

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wentworth For This Useful Post:

Askew (06-05-18),Aussie123 (06-05-18),biggles1024 (16-05-18),Chigger (06-05-18),Le Loup (06-05-18),Mozzie (06-05-18),Taplow (13-05-18)

Never Alone In The Bush
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,531 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Cleaning up the yard a bit. I've had this sink for a while now.
    I smashed it up and stored the large pieces in a bucket, the small bits went to the bin.

20180506_162149 (Medium).jpg 20180506_162228 (Medium).jpg 20180506_162530 (Medium).jpg

What for ????
    I collected it for knapping material. Google for "knapping johnstone" or "porcelain knapping" ...
    20180506_170247 (Medium).jpg

No time to actually do anything with it jet ...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aussie123 For This Useful Post:

biggles1024 (16-05-18),Le Loup (06-05-18),Wentworth (06-05-18)

John McDouall Stuart
    Thanks
    My wife & I made up two frames for shade cloth today out of electrical conduit. Then we dug up more Jerusalem artichokes & prepared the bed for replanting. Normally we don't do this, but after about 12 years producing in the same spot we found that there was not as bigger crop this year.
    Keith.
    "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less travelled by,
    And that has made all the difference".
    Robert Frost

http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/
    http://neclhg.freeforums.net/
    http://australiansurvivalandpreppers.blogspot.com.au/

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 824 Posts
    Sometimes it is better to admit defeat and live to fight another day.
    Today was one of those days.
    I have had a week off, during which time I have pulled out an overgrown vine and garden along a worn out fence divider, built a new divider and generally cleaned up and "beautified"the area.
    Time for a reward.
    Initially I was going to paddle up one of the local rivers but, as my PFD was at work, I decided that I would paddle from there, across Princess Royal Harbour to a campsite at Limeburners Point.. I don't think it is an official camp but I have stayed there before and not been hassled.
    Previous trips were made in ideal conditions but today was definitely not ideal. It was blowing a 30kmh+ (afterwards, I saw gusts up to 50kmh) from the west, 12mm of rain was predicted and possible thunderstorms. Temps were between 6C and 16C. Waves were white topping at about 50cm+
    I wanted to really test myself and my kit in extreme conditions. This looked like what the doctor ordered.
    I set off about 1.30pm and flew down wind. My intent was to parallel the shoreline about 50m offshore but as I hit the bottom end of my journey and was swinging across wind, the breeze blew up into a gale and basically blew me onto the shore.
    Basically, after struggling along the water's edge for a while, towing the canoe behind me, I relaunched and was basically draw stroking my way across the bay in order to keep the nose into the wind.
    This was very tough going and the wind continued to freshen.I continued to push towards my campsite but it was becoming clear that this wasn't going to be achievable.
    After more than an hour and a half of this, I had to admit defeat and call my mate to come pick me up.
    Somewhere along the way, I caught my possibles pouch on something - I assume the gunnel of the canoe - and ripped a belt loop off it. This also opened the pouch and caused a small pouch inside to fall out. I lost a good small Petzl e-lite, a small fire kit, a yoyo reel and some other bits and pieces. Pissed about the torch and the reel.
    My gear was copping a lot of water splash, spray and wash but, in the greater part, stayed relatively dry.
    Some might say this was an abject failure but I would disagree. It proved a few things for me.
    One is always make sure your gear is secured. The loss of the pouch could have been prevented by having it tied on. My main pck and a swagman style roll were both well secured to the canoe in case of a capsize.
    Two is don't be afraid to push your skills but don't put yourself at risk. I always had the backup of being able to contact my mate who was only a short distance away. I always wear a PFD even in tame conditions and I consider myself to be both a strong paddler and swimmer. You never know when things are going to go pear-shaped.
    I did push my skills. These were pretty extreme paddling conditions and, given the weather, water and wind factors, most people would not even consider going out. I did stay close to shore in fairly shallow water most of the time but it still stretched my abilities. If I was to find myself in these conditions again, I have a good idea what my limitations are now.
    Finally, while it was bloody hard work and I had to pull the pin on it, it was also exhilarating. I think it is good to pit yourself against nature occasionally just to see how you cope. Overall, despite having to bail, it was a great day and I learnt a lot from it.
    Sorry guys, no pix. I was too busy to get the camera out.
    The weather is supposed to clear towards the weekend so I may try again, or go for a river run. I'll let you know.
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    How can I ever get lost when everyone is always telling me where to go?

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bloffy13 For This Useful Post:

Askew (05-07-18),Aussie123 (06-07-18),biggles1024 (05-07-18),darren (06-07-18),Le Loup (05-07-18),Oldnslow (05-07-18),Taplow (06-07-18),Thrud (06-07-18)

John McDouall Stuart
    Thanks
    Not much so far today, fed the chooks, lit the fires, made my wife a cup of tea as usual, & have been answering emails. Yesterday I picked a heap of green tomatoes I had under a cover, sorted the crook ones out & boiled them up for the chooks. The day before that I picked up another load of cut fire logs with the truck from the forest & stacked them to dry.
    Keith.
    Robert Frost

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Le Loup For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (06-07-18)

Malcolm Douglas

Thanks
    Le Loup
    If you are anywhere near Kentucky (Nth of Tamworth) and you like good beer or spirits - drop into Eastview Estate (Dobson's Distillery)

https://www.eastviewestate.com

Well worth checking out.
    They are on the right hand side before the township.Tiny little sign easily missed.
    As their motto goes "Not for everyone"
    They make some great beers and spirits.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Oldnslow For This Useful Post:

Le Loup (05-07-18)

John McDouall Stuart
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldnslow View Post
    Le Loup
    If you are anywhere near Kentucky (Nth of Tamworth) and you like good beer or spirits - drop into Eastview Estate (Dobson's Distillery)

https://www.eastviewestate.com

Well worth checking out.
    They are on the right hand side before the township.Tiny little sign easily missed.
    As their motto goes "Not for everyone"
    They make some great beers and spirits.
    I think I know the place, thank you. If I remember correctly, my youngest son was married there.
    Regards, Keith.
    Robert Frost

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Le Loup For This Useful Post:

Oldnslow (05-07-18)

Mors Kochanski

Thanks
    G'day Bloffy. Thanks for that honest appreciation. We both live in that risk-averse world and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one getting out there to push the personal boundaries in a sensible fashion.

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    Cheers Dave. Not every trip is going to be blue skies, easy trails and good outcomes. At no stage was I in any real danger but I still had to have my wits about me. It was a fun experiment and, even though I didn't get to camp out as planned, it was still worthwhile.
    Cheers
    Bloffy

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloffy13 For This Useful Post:

barefoot dave (15-07-18)

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    Since my little failed foray last week, I have been meaning to redeem myself.
    It's off season at work but that just means we get busier as we prepare the camp for the next season.
    That said, I can normally skive a bit of time and, with the boss on holidays, I am caretaking this week.
    But, until today, I have been absolutely run off my feet and not finishing until way after dark most nights.
    To make matters worse, the weather has been glorious. Crisp mornings, sunny days clear nights.
    So tonight, I finished a little early. I grabbed my pack and headed up to the campground and set my hammock and a fire.
    I cheated a little as it was a little impromptu and quickly cooked dinner in the microwave.
    I grabbed my banjo and went back up and played the three songs I play badly a few times through, rang my son for his 20th birthday and am now sitting back watching the bush TV, looking at the Albany City lights over Princess Royal Harbour, sipping on some rumbo and writing this. It might rain tonight but I am pretty well set up, so, hopefully, no biggy.
    I know, no pix, it didn't happen.
    I remembered this time. Hopefully I can attach them.
    IMG_20180712_171441.jpg

IMG_20180712_172853.jpg

Cheers
    Bloffy

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bloffy13 For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (13-07-18),barefoot dave (15-07-18)