Thread: Vintage Trapper Nelson Indian Pack board

Lofty Wiseman
    Thanks
    Bushcraft Points

Vintage Trapper Nelson Indian Pack board

On my last trip to Canada I had the great fortune of being given a very historic pack in great condition.

This pack is manufactured in Vancouver which makes it all the more specail as I consider Van city my home town.

There is a wonderful artical written here (http://www.alpinequest.com/trappernelson.htm) which covers the history of the pack.

I do not know the history of this particular pack though. It is in very good condition and I look forward to adding it to the bushcraft kit. A pack like this needs to be used!

This pack is well made and its ver neat to see how different things were put together (at least from my vantage point it is ).

The frame is wooden with canvas stretched around it and lased down the center.
    There is a protective metal cap on each end of the wooden frame to prevent splitting.
    The canvas sac can be removed by sliding out the metal wire that hold it at 3 places on either side.
    Its a very strong cavas that I would guess to be around 8oz.

The leather is very old and some of it has perished but I will take some time and restore this beauty.

Here are some pictures of it.

www.terrarosagear.com Aussie made Tarps and Custom Gear

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HitchHiking For This Useful Post:

woodsrunner (27-11-12)

Bear Mears
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 643 Posts
    Bushcraft Points
    I love these old style packs. Canvas and leather has so much character to it. Look forward to seeing some pics of these traditional Canadian packs in the Aussie bush!

John McDouall Stuart
    Thanks
    Bushcraft Points
    Appears to be a bit of a vintage pack theme going on at the moment on the forum. That's another great example, your a lucky man to be given that pack. Have you tried it out, or does it need some restoration work first. I have just purchased a smaller canvas pack (new from Frost River) and I was really impressed with the comfort on my initial foray into the bush. I've also used a set of Australian made canvas saddle bags on my motorbike for a number of years and love the durability of this material.
    He who would travel happily must travel light. Antoine de St. Exupery

The practice of Bushcraft conserves, and does not destroy, wildlife. Richard Graves.

People are part of everything-stones and storms, mice and mammoths, lichens and linnets. We are what the ancients said we were: Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. But when we fidget, and tamper, and play with great forces, we destroy only our own tomorrows......1973 Helen Hoover, The Years of the Forest.

http://www.ausbushcraft.com/

Lofty Wiseman
    Thanks
    Bushcraft Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainwalker View Post
    Have you tried it out, or does it need some restoration work first. I have just purchased a smaller canvas pack (new from Frost River) and I was really impressed with the comfort on my initial foray into the bush. I've
    Yeah Ill put a new bit of leather on it and a replace on of the buckles. I have had it on. Its pretty good for its age and for the era no doubt. Frost River make some excellent gear no doubt. Youll have a lifetime of history to put on that pack eh.
    www.terrarosagear.com Aussie made Tarps and Custom Gear

John McDouall Stuart
    Thanks
    Bushcraft Points
    Yes, all going well my kids will be using years down the track. I still have my grandfathers canvas fishing bag, nothing like quality equipment.
    He who would travel happily must travel light. Antoine de St. Exupery

The practice of Bushcraft conserves, and does not destroy, wildlife. Richard Graves.

People are part of everything-stones and storms, mice and mammoths, lichens and linnets. We are what the ancients said we were: Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. But when we fidget, and tamper, and play with great forces, we destroy only our own tomorrows......1973 Helen Hoover, The Years of the Forest.

http://www.ausbushcraft.com/

Lofty Wiseman
    Thanks
    Bushcraft Points
    Sorry Guys I Just had to dig up this old post as i am a huge fan of the trapper nelson packs
    i have attached a padded waist belt to one of mine and use it once in awhile...
    i own two of the trager models and ive been trying to get my hands on one of those pioneer trapper nelsons with no luck!
    awesome score Hitchhiking!!!...i also dig my frost river packs...heck! i just dig canvas packs...period...woods