Thanked 2,493 Times in 993 Posts
    Bushcraft Points
    hidden

Schinus molle (Pepperina)

Common name: Pepperina WARNING TOXIC

Botanical name: Schinus molle

Other common names: Pepper tree, Molle

Family: Anacardiaceae

Distribution: it is now naturalised in some areas of southern Queensland.

Field Notes: A small tree to 8m tall with a drooping habit and soft feathery leaves. Previously popular as a garden ornamental in inland areas. The tree is quite resinous and aromatic, especially noticeable when the leaves are crushed. The flowers are small and white, with petals about 2.5mm long, and occur in massed inflorescences. Flowers late spring to early autumn.
    The leaves consist of 9 to 19 leaflets that are sub-opposite, narrowly ovate, 2 to 4.5cm long and 0.3 to 0.6cm wide.
    The fruit are berries, shiny pink to red in colour, rounded in shape and about 5mm in diameter, maturing late spring to early autumn.
    The sticky, clear sap may cause dermatitis in sensitive individuals.

Symptoms:If berries are eaten they may cause vomiting and diarrhoea.
    When flowering, the tree may cause respiratory irritation, sinus congestion and headache.
    DSC_0015.jpg

Alt-Text
    I wish to acknowledge the Traditional Owners also pay respect to the Elders past, present and future of the land
    from which these activities have taken place.

there is no silly question other than the one never asked

2. The Following User Says Thank You to auscraft For This Useful Post:

AussiePreppers (18-11-13)

Jiffy
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 495 Posts
    Bushcraft Points
    the leaves...

I had this one already to upload, you beat me to it!

Like knives? Whether for bushcraft, hunting, or the kitchen, the Sydney Knife show is the place to be in August 2014. www.cutlersexpo.com.au
    Sell related products? get in touch and exhibit at the show.

Henry Arthur Readford
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 993 Posts
    Bushcraft Points
    hidden
    I had to beat you to uploading one Plant sooner or latter Corin
    I wish to acknowledge the Traditional Owners also pay respect to the Elders past, present and future of the land
    from which these activities have taken place.

there is no silly question other than the one never asked

Alexander Pearce
    Thanks
    Bushcraft Points
    There used to be a myth at the local primary school that rubbing the sap onto your hands would make the cane not hurt. Of course it didn't and wouldn't come off and dirt became irremovably stuck on your hands for ages.

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 447 Posts
    Bushcraft Points
    Over the weekend I was shown this plant by a friend. Every dead branch I found on this particular tree was "punky". I had only previously heard of charred punkwood taking a spark, but my friend assured me that this wood could take a spark directly and form an ember without any processing other than hitting anything that isn't bark with a spark from a firesteel. Sure enough, we broke a branch off, split it down the middle, then threw sparks onto that inner wood and it started an ember immediately. It rapidly grew in size and produced a lot of heat. I had to use a stick for about a minute to jam into the embers to put them out in the main piece of wood. I thought it was really cool. Other woods I have just randomly found have not been able to do this. Has anyone achieved this with other punkwoods? I'd be interested to know...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AussiePreppers For This Useful Post:

auscraft (19-11-13),Corin (19-11-13)

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    Bushcraft Points
    A common planting around older Australian farms and properties because it was supposed to keep flies away.

The crushed leaves are very aromatic.

KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to koalaboi For This Useful Post:

Corin (19-11-13)

Jiffy
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 495 Posts
    Bushcraft Points
    Hey AP that's really interesting. Out of interest have you tried it with a flint and steel? I will be trying this for sure.
    Like knives? Whether for bushcraft, hunting, or the kitchen, the Sydney Knife show is the place to be in August 2014. www.cutlersexpo.com.au
    Sell related products? get in touch and exhibit at the show.

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 447 Posts
    Bushcraft Points
    No but before I posted I did a quick forum and google search and found that some punk wood in north America does this and for flint and steel they crush it in their hand before sparking. If you do this with a fire steel it will ignite. K was spot on, this tree is on an old sheep station homestead, and isn't something that I think you'd find in the bush which is what got me thinking about native woods gone punky. I'd be interested to know what this wood is like dead and not punky, I know it is mentioned in the bowdrill timbers thread...

Also thinking out aloud - would be an interesting way to keep an ember for a fire, stuff a fist sized piece in a tin can and restrict oxygen somewhat? It would probably last a while...
    Last edited by AussiePreppers; 19-11-13 at 08:02 PM.