PDA

View Full Version : Weather watch.

Hairyman
08-11-13, 08:18 PM
Just a heads up for those in the eastern states, looks like we are in for a period of rain and storms for at least the next week.
http://forum.weatherzone.com.au/ubbthreads.php/topics/1217011/3
http://forum.weatherzone.com.au/ubbthreads.php/topics/1217021/Re_NSW_Possible_Rain_Event_8th#Post1217021
http://forum.weatherzone.com.au/ubbthreads.php/topics/1217016/Re_VIC_Wet_period_particularly#Post1217016

darren
08-11-13, 08:22 PM
I hope so, My place is so dry my cattle are eating sticks. An inch a week then an inch would be nice if your taking orders

Bezerker Viking
08-11-13, 09:05 PM
I can't wait, I was just sayin' to the other half today we need at least 4-5 days of steady rain, enough to bring the water levels up in the river so the recently spawning bass can get back upstream to me :D

auscraft
08-11-13, 09:26 PM
Thanks Hairy
As you know I had concerns about rain coming, the good news (not) is the dam still not cleaned out. but at least if we do get some good rain not flash floods or miss it all together the grass will grow and help the top soils from blowing away

Skandiman
08-11-13, 09:45 PM
A week of rain sounds pretty good to this little black duck! The smell of rain sure beats the smell of bushfire smoke!

Hairyman
09-11-13, 08:41 AM
Its a forecast so it might be better to call it a week of the 'possibility' of rain .....which is better than a week 'no chance'.

Wentworth
09-11-13, 11:24 AM
Good news for the bush, means I don't have to resort to toilet paper water out on walks. Bad news for my lawn. It will come back to life and start growing.

Bezerker Viking
10-11-13, 12:23 PM
We finally have some rain here today in Sydney :D

auscraft
10-11-13, 12:34 PM
Still dry and hot and just forced to pump water to our toilet and laundry tank. I might go wash a car to give 100% chance of rain.
I can't but help noticing the forecasts going up and down for the week:)

darren
10-11-13, 12:51 PM
Only a bit of a storm here and a predicted day of rain has come to nothing. At least its cool for farm work.
Its getting grim here.

auscraft
10-11-13, 04:39 PM
Vote to change the weather dept name to "weather psychics" or "whether we are right or wrong we still get paid".
Or is global warming at fault and the we are all doomed:) I don't think so believe it or not the weather forecasters have been wrong once or twice before.

I know there is still a few hours to go but at the moment I think I will have better luck going out back and hunt Polar bear.

P.S it is my fault I never washed my car

peter.robinson
10-11-13, 05:43 PM
We have had a lot of grumbling in the sky and a few fat drops of rain but nothing more. I hope you get more than we have

Hairyman
11-11-13, 07:28 AM
Had a nice 26mm here last night with the forecast of more most days this week.

auscraft
11-11-13, 09:30 AM
Lucky you we got 3mm sometime after 10pm

AussiePreppers
11-11-13, 03:38 PM
Only lasted about 5 minutes... hopefully more in the next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTM77ogdZrc

darren
11-11-13, 05:46 PM
I take it all back. 26mm in 24 hours and a chance of a bit more. It wont fill dams but it will definitely encourage growth.
I'm lucky I don't have to make a living off my little place but plenty around here do.

Dusty Miller
11-11-13, 06:27 PM
27mm in a few hours, oddly the water in the tank tastes of smoke; there was a bushfire burning not far away before the storm.

Wilddog
12-11-13, 06:40 PM
We are doing alright here in Glen Innes, 65mm so far. I went out on the quad to check stock at 4pm and it absolutely pelted down.

Mickldo
12-11-13, 11:36 PM
We have had almost nothing here. We had 10mm a couple of weeks back but that has been it. I haven't had to buy water yet (ever) but it is getting close now. In past dry spells I have been able to even keep watering the garden using the rainwater and not have it run out but this time 90% of my garden is dead and I'm not game to waste the water on the garden when it is this low. If it doesn't rain in the next week or so I'll have to get some water but there is a couple of week wait for water deliveries round here at the moment.

Hairyman
13-11-13, 08:37 AM
Another 19.5mm here last night, that's the trouble with storms, they are hit and miss.

auscraft
14-11-13, 05:01 PM
Until yesterday arvo we had 7mm of rain 16.40 yesterday a storm warning given for our area 10min later BANG Horizontal rain , winds and tree cracking , Water tank rolling across paddock , fences down, a Power line in the dam and 23hours later power restored to us. Our rain gauges read over 27 mm but more would have fallen just not caught.
some rain reads out and about read as high as 55mm within 200m of our 3 . More rain coming. So I will leave the bush dunny in working order incase of more blackouts especially tonight as repairs still being carried out and new storm front coming.

peter.robinson
14-11-13, 05:06 PM
The storm last night went east rather than NE so went mostly to the South of us. We did get a bit in the main water tank but not much. Looks similar with the storm heading in now. It covers a huge area but will pass just south of us.

Starry to hear about your tank auscraft, I hope it survived

Mickldo
14-11-13, 11:42 PM
Finally got a small amount of rain. Until 4pm this arvo we had 11mm but we have had another shower since then. That small amount of rain has filled my tanks to about 33%, so I am happy about that. The pressure is off now, tanks have water and the gardens have had a soak. Maybe I won't lose as many plants as I thought I might.

darren
19-11-13, 06:06 AM
Two weeks ago i was hand feeding then 42mm one weekend and this last weekend 182mm, 170mm of which fell in 24 hours. I cant remember when i have seen so much rain.
Its damaged dams, fences, roads and tracks and my family was flodded in yesterday.

Australia is a funny old country..

Hairyman
19-11-13, 07:16 AM
Two weeks ago i was hand feeding then 42mm one weekend and this last weekend 182mm, 170mm of which fell in 24 hours. I cant remember whan i have seen so much rain.
Its damaged dams, fences, roads and tracks and my family was flodded in yesterday.

Australia is a funny old country..

'El-normal' in our sunburnt country! The farmers around here reckon the harder and longer the drought the harder it breaks.

@ Mickldo, you must have had some rain by now, I've seen some ripper storms going over your way on the radar?

Blake
19-11-13, 10:25 AM
Still need for wet stuff up here. Got about 45mm here over the last week. Not bad but I was hoping for more.

My colo river trip is in January and It was getting to a stage where I might have to change dates because of low water so this downpour certainly has helped! http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDN60233/IDN60233.563033.plt.shtml

Hairyman
19-11-13, 05:55 PM
Mares tails and a ring around the sun, consistent with the forecast of more rain and storms for SEQld in the next few days.
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj595/Haroldm21/DSCF4905800x581_zps34605de0.jpg (http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/Haroldm21/media/DSCF4905800x581_zps34605de0.jpg.html)
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj595/Haroldm21/DSCF4903800x600_zpsdf15a9e4.jpg (http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/Haroldm21/media/DSCF4903800x600_zpsdf15a9e4.jpg.html)

auscraft
19-11-13, 05:56 PM
That is good
Grass is green and growing so good follow up rain very important now

Mickldo
21-11-13, 11:04 PM
'El-normal' in our sunburnt country! The farmers around here reckon the harder and longer the drought the harder it breaks.

@ Mickldo, you must have had some rain by now, I've seen some ripper storms going over your way on the radar?

Since my last post we have had about another 50mm so now my tanks are up to about 80%. All my garden is still pretty much dead still but at least the tanks are nearly full. I did notice a couple of new buds on a couple of plants this arvo so maybe I haven't lost everything but it still looks like it is dead at this stage. I'm going to have to look into sinking a dam, drilling a bore or getting additional water tanks so I can keep the water up to the gardens in these dry times.

darren
24-11-13, 02:40 PM
50mm through the week then got absolutely smashed yesterday.

We have had every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stingin’ rain … and big ol’ fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath.

The water had dropped about a foot by the time these were taken
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/24/8adevuta.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/24/gepy7a4y.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/24/e9evyjap.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/24/umeqa6aj.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/24/esanyveg.jpg

Ticklebellly
24-11-13, 07:37 PM
When you have lemons, may as well make lemonade. Three short but intense storms here just south of Brissy this afternoon. I put up the hammock just after the first and tried out the tarp and staking down arrangements during the next two. Only very small hail during the first one but the tarp worked well and the small drip collars on the suspension did their jobs well. Very special swinging dry and warm while the rain pelts down.

TB

peter.robinson
24-11-13, 09:48 PM
I was out wandering the D'Aguilar NP when the first of those storms came through. Funny how when there's lightning about, you're not meant to shelter under the trees. Where I was it was trees in every direction, as far as you can see. Walking along the ridges had me worried but once I got down lower it felt better. The hail was small and not too bad. The rain then came in big far drops that were welcomed because it was a horridly hot day and I was low on water.

bungie
27-11-13, 09:12 PM
I was hanging at Gordon Country this weekend.
It absolutely ****ed down, heaviest down poor I have seen in a long time. Spent about 3/4 hour holding up the main tarp roof, as it filled with water. Trying to stop it flood food and camping gear of the other people I went with.
After cleaning the place up and getting the fire burning again, I checked out my hammock. Wow, dry as a bone under my hoochy :)
I put my boots into a couple of shopping bags and slid into my bedding for the night. Seems there was two more big storms later that night, I slept through both :)
Ohh, no booze was consumed in the making of my good nights sleep :)

Hairyman
08-12-13, 07:04 AM
Meanwhile in Sweden ... a blizzard has dropped 80cm of snow in one night where my daughter is living.
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj595/Haroldm21/564631_342310985910302_1090268333_n1_zpsa6dd1005.j pg (http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/Haroldm21/media/564631_342310985910302_1090268333_n1_zpsa6dd1005.j pg.html)

Hairyman
31-12-13, 09:24 AM
Bit of a heat wave in Queensland at the moment, I'm heading up the Bunya mts for the hottest part of today where its about 5 deg cooler.
Here's a link to an ABC "Plan for an emergency: Heatwave" for some tips on surviving one.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/emergency/plan-for-an-emergency/heatwave/

auscraft
31-12-13, 09:39 AM
I must admit it is hot but the storm two nights ago that hit here made me leave the bush camp I had been there two days already. The storms that are around this time of year always make it tough getting out as does the heat.
I hope to get back to this forest within a few days to continue photographing the area I plan on doing a few months of it on and off especially to capture some of the developing changes.

auscraft
02-01-14, 10:20 AM
Here is a little more about the heat wave Hairyman was talking about
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/01/02/08/30/2014-brings-heat-wave-for-australia

Hairyman
25-01-14, 10:55 AM
Heads up for Queenslanders, possible cyclone affecting the coast next week, the wet season may be near.
Note this link is to an interactive wind map, click to animate.
http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/viewer/index.shtml?type=windbarb&level=gradient&tz=AEDT&area=Au&model=CG&chartSubmit=Refresh+View

hillbilly
25-01-14, 07:24 PM
thanks Hairy, always full of usefull info.
Auscraft, I'm very jealous that you can emerse yourself at anytime into the bush, i look forward to my semi-retirement which still a while off but turn into a real hillbilly somewhere in the woods as i do enjoy a little isolation from the public. I'm heading for 2 weeks hunting goats tomorrow with my nephew which as been a long while since my last decent holiday and can't wait for some quality bush time. A few swims in the dams should fix the heat, eat some yabbies and chilling out with my nephew and watching the wildlife around me. Cheers

Hairyman
23-03-14, 04:24 PM
Heads up for those in SEQld, forecast is for a wet week with a high chance (80 to 90%) of 10 to 40mm from rain and storms per day for
all week.
Heres hoping its an accurate forecast as rainfall has been very low over the past couple of months.

auscraft
23-03-14, 06:45 PM
Not tomorrow AM. Please dam being cleaned/deepened and enlarged :)

Mickldo
23-03-14, 08:48 PM
So it is guaranteed to rain then;) Thanks for that........

auscraft
23-03-14, 09:22 PM
Mickldo
Not washing the car so no not guaranteed but Highly likely Just to give me the:( and stop the dig till it dries up around dam again .
Black soil not good with heavy equip when wet

Blake
23-03-14, 09:48 PM
All the best for some wet stuff for everyone. 90% chance of 20-40mm here tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

barefoot dave
23-03-14, 10:44 PM
I'm leading on a 'Survivor'themed Leadership program for Yr9s.
Should make the firelighting activity interesting.
They will REALLY understand the directions I give about shelter construction.
Amazing how some discomfort sharpens the perceptions and brings clarity to a subject ;)

Mickldo
24-03-14, 09:01 PM
Mickldo
Not washing the car so no not guaranteed but Highly likely Just to give me the:( and stop the dig till it dries up around dam again .
Black soil not good with heavy equip when wet

You should have washed the car too! We haven't had a drop here yet. It's starting to get beyond a joke here.

How did you go? Get it done in time?

auscraft
24-03-14, 09:09 PM
Yes thanks no rain but did hit a spring so I got water :)
No lies last time I washed car, flooded in within a week of doing so and the day after the roof was removed for new one, why would I wash my car ever again

Mickldo
24-03-14, 09:17 PM
Got to be happy hitting a spring and it not raining on you.

About the only time my Cruiser gets a wash is if I take it to the beach and I need to wash the salt off.

auscraft
24-03-14, 09:19 PM
Very happy and Mickldo no need to wash car this year it just started to rain here:)

Mickldo
24-03-14, 09:27 PM
Very happy and Mickldo no need to wash car this year it just started to rain here:)

Good to hear. I just hope we get some soon.

Blake
26-03-14, 09:26 AM
Some light rain today to go with the 14mm we got on Monday. More on the horizon also. Land around here is looking green for the first time in a long time.

Looks like the east and west are both getting a bit of love today. Hope everyone is getting their share.

Hairyman
26-03-14, 09:50 AM
11mm here so far, just enough to wash the dust off the roof and gutters and into the tank.
20 -40mm forecast for tomorrow.

Tomuda
26-03-14, 01:09 PM
30mm for us, at last!

kiwibro
26-03-14, 01:14 PM
Plenty of drizzle in mudgee at the moment Blake. I'm watching it on the window. Terrible weather for visiting.

auscraft
26-03-14, 03:24 PM
It is raining NOW but Like Hairyman I think hope the real drop will be tomorrow, Had to cancel duck thinning till a later date.

Blake
26-03-14, 03:50 PM
Plenty of drizzle in mudgee at the moment Blake. I'm watching it on the window. Terrible weather for visiting.

Looks like it will only be getting heavier too. Hope you enjoy your stay none the less. Hey if this is what we get everytime you visit your welcome anytime! :D

peter.robinson
26-03-14, 04:51 PM
We've had some ridiculously heavy rain over the last few days/nights.
Too heavy really, it runs off rather than soaking in.
I hope it's also getting to where it's needed.

Hairyman
26-03-14, 07:21 PM
90% chance of 40 to 80mm forecast for the S.burnett tomorrow, I time my days off so well ...not!

auscraft
26-03-14, 07:25 PM
That will be nice to see. I can see some water getting into the dam:)
We had 30+mm today so far won't read till morning , 10mm yesterday. Just had a look around paddock some holes are closing so grass may grow will show pics if it stops raining anytime tomorrow befores taken Monday

Tomuda
26-03-14, 08:41 PM
We so needed this rain, its simply fantastic.

bungie
27-03-14, 07:16 AM
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE WEATHER WARNING

for HEAVY RAINFALL

For people in the Wide Bay and Burnett, Darling Downs and Granite Belt, Southeast Coast and parts of the Central Highlands and Coalfields and Maranoa and Warrego Forecast Districts.

Issued at 5:02 am Thursday, 27 March 2014.
Synoptic Situation:
A developing surface trough extends from the central interior into the central Darling Downs. The trough is forecast to drift slowly south during today, before crossing southeastern districts on Friday. A deep moist east to northeast flow will extend from the Coral Sea, across southeastern districts, and into the trough.
Rain areas, currently extending through districts to the east of the trough, are expected to develop further in the next 24 hours. Heavy rain, which may lead to flash flooding, is expected to develop during today through the Wide Bay and Burnett, southeastern Central Highlands and Coalfields, the eastern Maranoa and Warrego and the Darling Downs and Granite Belt districts. Heavy rainfall areas are likely to extend to the Southeast Coast district during the afternoon and evening. 24 hour totals of 50 to 150mm are likely, with some isolated heavier falls expected.
Locations which may be affected include Gold Coast, Brisbane, Ipswich, Maroochydore, Warwick, Toowoomba, Dalby, Stanthorpe, Goondiwindi, Gympie, Bundaberg, Hervey Bay, Maryborough, Taroom, Kingaroy and St George.

Blake
27-03-14, 09:16 AM
25mm yesterday 20-40mm forecast for today but annoyingly the last band of rain carrying about 40mm past us to the east by only a few km.

auscraft
27-03-14, 09:36 AM
Our Gauges got 64mm yesterday + with what bungie has posted we should do ok

Blake
28-03-14, 09:45 AM
Outstanding! Great to hear mate that will give the land a nice deep soaking. Hope your not flooded though. Heard reports of flooding in SE QLD hope everyone is ok and escaped any damage.

Hairyman
28-03-14, 09:53 AM
No damage here just good soaking rain with little runoff.

wattshappenin
28-03-14, 10:35 AM
Five inches in Jimboomba since yesterday morning... And my cousin tells me 13 near Gladstone...

auscraft
28-03-14, 12:08 PM
Outstanding! Great to hear mate that will give the land a nice deep soaking. Hope your not flooded though. Heard reports of flooding in SE QLD hope everyone is ok and escaped any damage.

Thanks Blake
As Hairyman said good soaking rains with no damage and little runoff which is what we needed as it was so dry Notice another severe weather warning for the area was cancelled this morning which is good, but some rain or storms still predicted for coming days.
Here is a few pics of the ground before rain
In the last pic for scale you see a foot that shoe is basically 5'wide
So you can see why flooding rains would have caused real issue here. Most these gaps have closed but drier areas still open but not as wide

hillbilly
28-03-14, 07:16 PM
180mm in the last couple of days in Bundy

Mickldo
29-03-14, 11:21 PM
Last week we'd had no rain. This week we had about 7 inches. The lakes (dams/ponds) in the park over the back fence filled up from empty and became one big lake that stretched into my backyard. The road was cut by floodwater and when it receded it left a big log across the road. When I did get to work finally the shed was flooded and we had to mop up. Who would have thought a week ago........

I love a sunburnt country........

Hairyman
07-04-14, 05:47 PM
Watch out FNQld, here comes TC Ita.
http://forum.weatherzone.com.au/ubbthreads.php/topics/1253745/14

Hairyman
10-04-14, 07:01 PM
Looking serious in FNQld with cyclone Ita now Cat5 and not far from the coast. Xing tomorrow afternoon.
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20023.txt
forecast track map, http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml
Looking like Cooktown, Laura and Hopevale in the worst of it.
What happens after it crosses the coast may be serious too as its expected to move down the coast for some time.

barefoot dave
11-04-14, 08:07 PM
Family up there is all batten'ed down.
Hopeful the path takes it down inland. If it swings along the coast, look out!
Might be on a plane to FNQ again.
BDave

Hairyman
23-04-14, 07:39 AM
Mare's tails in the sky all day yesterday and again this morning. Only slight chance of a little rain in the next
few days according to BOM.

Hairyman
30-04-14, 09:07 PM
There is a significant drop in temp coming for SEQld and the possibility of snow in higher parts of NSW as early as
this weekend and next week. If your heading out bush, check your local weather forecast and dress for it. :-)

Hairyman
06-07-14, 09:43 AM
Finally had some typical winter weather in the South Burnett, pea-souper fogs and decent frosts for the last week or two.
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj595/Haroldm21/DSCF2210800x614_zpsedb6b0b2.jpg (http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/Haroldm21/media/DSCF2210800x614_zpsedb6b0b2.jpg.html)
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj595/Haroldm21/DSCF2292800x644_zpsb60e71c1.jpg (http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/Haroldm21/media/DSCF2292800x644_zpsb60e71c1.jpg.html)

auscraft
12-07-14, 07:20 AM
I see Kingaroy was below -5 today here we got close to -7 , so cold underground irrigation froze had to defrost with hot water to turn irrigation on