PDA

View Full Version : Using knife with magnesium firestarter

pap11y
03-08-12, 11:26 AM
Hi guys,

I can't bring myself to use my knives on my magnesium fire starter (I am considering it but don't want to ruin the look of my knife, affect structural hardness etc).

Do you do it?

If so what does the knifes spine look like after doing this for a while?

Do you recommend it?

I'd love to see some pics if you have them.

Sincerely,

Pap

Greatbloke
03-08-12, 11:29 AM
Don't ever use the blade edge... If you look closely you will see that they use the back of the knife.

mraussieadventurer
03-08-12, 11:46 AM
Hey mate
withy me it depends on the knife if i am using a cheap mora blade i will happily strike the firesteel on the spine of the knife.

But with a more expencive blade i really dont like using a firesteel on it it tends to blacken the blade.

when i get a knife with an attached firesteel i will always carry something else to strike it with

pap11y
03-08-12, 11:55 AM
I just added a firestarter to my Fallkniven F1 sheath. Looks good and handy to have knife and firestarter in compact bundle. I just can't bring myself to strike with any high end kit.

All firestarters come come with the striker anyway.

I'd have no issues with using the mora :)

I was wondering if I was the only one (or if maybe I was being a bit of a puss..) :)

bubba5603
03-08-12, 12:03 PM
Best thing that I have found, and it has been posted elsewhere that it is common, is to use the carbide sharpening tools as the striker. Throws HUGE sparks, and has the benefit of being able to sharpen a knife or axe in a pinch as they are much harder than most steels.

pap11y
03-08-12, 12:08 PM
Best thing that I have found, and it has been posted elsewhere that it is common, is to use the carbide sharpening tools as the striker. Throws HUGE sparks, and has the benefit of being able to sharpen a knife or axe in a pinch as they are much harder than most steels.

Good call... I never thought of that.

I have just added a new activity to my next camp out - see what stuff works on magnesium fire starter..

I just realised my knife and bottle opener would work well too.

feebullet
03-08-12, 12:14 PM
here is the spine of my bk11, it has had a quick touch with a die grinder to square it up to throw sparks better and to shave swarf off a mag block. I don't care about the soon to be released barrage of insults at this, however, I will say in dire positions using the blade of your knife to create a larger shaving or spark is perfectly acceptable... I am willing to come home alive with the temper fudged in a small portion of my blade as opposed to dying in the field with a good knife....

bubba5603
03-08-12, 12:20 PM
Another thing that throws good sparks is the sharpened awl on some of the models of SAKs

feebullet
03-08-12, 12:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA7eJM5Oub8

bubba5603
03-08-12, 12:33 PM
here is the spine of my bk11, it has had a quick touch with a die grinder to square it up to throw sparks better and to shave swarf off a mag block. I don't care about the soon to be released barrage of insults at this, however, I will say in dire positions using the blade of your knife to create a larger shaving or spark is perfectly acceptable... I am willing to come home alive with the temper fudged in a small portion of my blade as opposed to dying in the field with a good knife....

Can't see as to why there would be a "barrage of insults". It is your kit to use as you see fit, and no one else should be concerned (unless you are using their knife!). Modifying kit to suit your own needs is a personal thing. We are all here learning from each other, and if someone does not like your modifications, then they do not have to use it. On alot of internet forums there are people that think that their way is the only way...luckily I have yet to run into that here. Even in the topic concerning "Batonning", people were quite respectful of each other, even if they differed (some strongly) in opinions.

Bartnmax
03-08-12, 12:41 PM
I tend to think that in a (as Karl likes to put it) S#@*%&^! situation ;-) it really doesn't matter a damn what's used as long as it works.
However, away from that scenario, if I can use something else, so as to look after me knife then I usually like to do so.
If one is carrying a ferro rod then it's usually not hard to carry a small piece of hacksaw blade to strike with as well.
As far as shaving combo ferro rod/mag blocks are concerned I just buy small 3 corner files from T&T & keep a piece of the file, cut to suitable length, with the block. A bit of judicuious sharpening of the corner/s not only makes an excellent mag shaver but produces excellent sparks from the ferro as well.
If one get's a touch inventive you can also sharpen the end of the 3 corner file so that you've got quite a useful palm drill into the bargain.
Attach it to the knife sheath via the trusty ranger band & there ya have it. Works for me.

Bill.

bubba5603
03-08-12, 12:55 PM
Another great tip. In fact, there is a ferro rod manufacturer, not sure where from, that puts out something called the "Magic Striker." With a name like that had to get one!! It comes as a so called "kit", but it is just a ferro rod with a plastic eagle head for a topper (which is not at all practical, and actually detrimental IMHO) and a piece (yeah, just a single piece) of fatwood. The reason that I mention this is that the striker that came with it was a small version of the 3 corner file that Bill just suggested, and with a plastic handle. Gave the eagle striker to one of the boys, with a piece of saw blade, and kept the file for my fire kit as a back up to the carbide striker that I always use (the old "Two is one, and one is none" idea). As for my main ferro rod/carbide striker, carry these on the belt in a ballistic nylon pouch that orginally came with a cheap Gerber folder. Again, keep the case and gave the knife to one of the other boys.

bubba5603
03-08-12, 02:12 PM
For Pappy11y, I will throw out another idea for you to consider when using the magnesium bar. I personally prefer this method by far, as it works well for me.

Take the mag bar and through the hole, thread a piece of paracord or similar material, making it long enough to wrap around your wrist as a lanyard.

Take your knife and put the edge into a larger piece of wood perpendicular to the surface. Holding the handle of the knife to steady it and keep it as upright as possible with your non-dominate hand.

Finally, use the magnesium bar in the dominate hand, scrape the mag bar across the spine of the knife blade, changing the angle of the bar as required to acheive maximum shavings, which will fall onto the wooden surface. Additionally, if it is windy, taking a PJ covered cotton ball and spreading out some beside the knife will catch most of the shavings, preventing loss.

Hope that my explaination make sense to the readers. If not, feel free to question if I was not clear enough on how this works....

Aussie123
03-08-12, 03:11 PM

No insults here, just curiosity.

I assume you did the mod because the spine was not “angular” enough to start with ? Some knives have a very square cut spine and could be used without mod, I've seen yet others which actually incorporate just such a mod !

It looks like you did a "square" grind across the top so you end up with two 90 degree angles or is it more 110 vs 70 ?

darren
03-08-12, 03:48 PM
I don't care about the soon to be released barrage of insults at this,

Dont worry about it mate. Its only a knife and they still make them..

AussiePreppers
03-08-12, 04:44 PM
Aussie123, sometimes you can get an even better spark even if the spine has a right angle by putting a burr on it with a grinder of some sort. A BCOz forum user sent me a custom made fire starting tool and he'd ground one side to right angles and the other end to right angles but with a noticable burr, and it threw some serious sparks on that edge.

I've posted this elsewhere, and i'm not sure whether the OP is referring to a mag. bar or a firesteel, but with my firesteels i'll not strike along the whole length of the steel, only just as much as I need to on the end and just keep rounding it off. This has a few bonuses... no broken-in-half steels, longer lifespan, and it will still fit snugly in the holders you see on knife sheaths as you can still keep the original diameter on most of the steel until it's almost done. I can start fire with any of the different tinders in my kit this way but you always have the option of using the whole length with troublesome tinders in a pinch.

I carry a striker in my fire kit but if i'm just wandering around the bush without it and only my knife I have no dramas using the spine. You can clean most of whatever marks it makes off easily enough, which seems to be a sooty residue.

graybear
03-08-12, 05:13 PM
With cheap knives, I take a file to the spine and create a sharp 90degree angle to create the best edge for striking. It leaves a small burr as mentioned before and it seems to work a treat.

Templar
03-08-12, 05:33 PM
I just use the spine of my knife, I don't own draw queens only working tools... that includes my semi-custom BRKT Northstar... besides any marks made on the steel will wipe off easy enough during normal maintainence.

Wave Man
03-08-12, 06:23 PM
best striker made, EzeEdge sharpener.
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af208/waveman10/2011-07-20_15-23-05_492eze3.jpg
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af208/waveman10/2011-07-20_15-23-17_54eze2.jpg
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af208/waveman10/2011-07-20_15-23-35ezesharpener.jpg
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af208/waveman10/2011-07-20_15-16-36_131lawsonfire3.jpg

If I don't have my preferred striker I do use the spine of my knives, but as stated it does stain the steel some times.

bubba5603
03-08-12, 06:42 PM
That is the the carbide tool that I use. Thanks for the photos Waveman

Michael
03-08-12, 08:12 PM
I use a stanly knife blade