PDA

View Full Version : Ray Mears goes walkabout

BjornJ
11-05-12, 09:54 PM
Hi all,
anyone who has seen the Ray Mears goes walkabout series?

Been watching some of his clips on youtube lately and enjoyed it thoroughly.
Seems to know his stuff and a sympathetic guy to listen to.
Unlike some other "bushcraft/survival skills" stuff I've seen.

I was looking online for a version of his Australian show called "Goes Walkabout" or something similar.

Guessed this would be the right place to ask if others have seen it and if it would be worth having a closer look at getting the whole thing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRGYZbjoRF0
5168 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRGYZbjoRF0)

thanks
Bjorn

Wentworth
11-05-12, 10:30 PM
We really enjoyed it. Only four episodes from memory, but great stuff.

Bartnmax
13-05-12, 09:29 AM
Yeah Ray Mears is one of my fav' bushcraft/survivalists as he doesn't tend to rely on sensationalism to present a good show.
He is knowledgeable, informative, offers good, sound advice & is very entertaining.
To top it off he has a good sense of nature & conservation ethics.
I'm planning on pourchasing a few of his DVD sets as I reckon he's far better value than 'run hard & eat everything' Grylls.
One of my fav RM series is the 7 parter he did in Sweden looking at the Saami people. Great series of vids that & some really great bushcraft in it.

Does anyone know if the 'Survivorman' series is available on DVD?

Bill.

Mountainwalker
13-05-12, 08:14 PM
Yes, watched a few years ago. I like the episode about John McDouall Stuart. Think I'll dust it off and give it another viewing.

BjornJ
13-05-12, 08:59 PM
I had never heard about Survivorman, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

One series is 20$ at ebay.com.au SURVIVORMAN by LES STROUD, DVD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H
Sorry, link doesn't paste through but search for the above capitalized text.

Wave Man
14-05-12, 08:39 AM
I have watched most of Ray Mears and Les Hiddins on Youtube, both are BC legends.

bubba5603
16-05-12, 09:24 PM
There are three seasons of Survivorman, all available on DVD. Have them, a decent watch, but the episodes (IMHO) that he does in the boreal forest and arctic are the better ones as he seems more "at home" (both literally and figuratively). Plus the arctic one he did in the same small Inuit town - Pond's Inlet - that I went to with the army. Check out the Discovery Channel's store; that is where I was able to order "Dual Survival", and I saw that you could order the complete Les Stroud collection.

Greatbloke
16-05-12, 09:32 PM
I'd guess that most of us have seen much or all of Ray's stuff, as well as The Bushtucker man's. Both of these blokes have an interest in bushcraft/exploring history, too. Top notch bushcrafters.

bubba5603
16-05-12, 09:41 PM
I always loved the episode where Ray Mears constructed the canoe paddle. I only wish that I could handle a hatchet/axe half as well as he could, even with owning my first hatchet at the age of seven. He is an excellent example of true, unsensastionalized, bushcrafting. Wish that his shows came on more regularly here.

bubba5603
16-05-12, 09:43 PM
This may sound dumb, but keep in mind where I am, but someone enlighten me as to Les Hidden. Point me in the right direction

Greatbloke
16-05-12, 09:57 PM
Here's a random sample and some info for you, bubba.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfeSwKrig5U

Biography

As a soldier with the Australian Army, Hiddins did two tours of duty in Vietnam between 1966 and 1968, the first as a forward scout in the infantry. In 1987 he was awarded a Defence Fellowship to research survival in northern Australia. He was the principal author of the Australian Army's Combat Survival manual (1987) and was awarded Member of the Order of Australia (AM) in 1987.[1]

This research turned into the TV series The Bush Tucker Man. The series involves Hiddins driving around in a Land Rover Perentie, then in later episodes a County 110 with his trademark hat, finding and describing native Australian bush food or "Bush Tucker". Hiddins appeared in two ABC TV series of Bush Tucker Man, and the series Bush Tucker Man - Stories of Survival. He also appeared in the TV documentaries Pandora - in the Wake of the Bounty and The Batavia. His other publications are Bush Tucker Man - Stories of Exploration and Survival (1996), Bush Tucker Man - Tarnished Heroes (1997), Explore Wild Australia with the Bush Tucker Man (1999), Bush Tucker Fieldguide (2002). In 2000 Hiddins published four books specifically for children: The Coral Coast, The Top End, The Tropical Rainforest, and The Living Desert. He has released two CD-ROMs, From the Rainforest to Cape York Peninsula and From Arnhem Land to the Kimberley Ranges. The National Museum of Australia in Canberra has a Bush Tucker Man display with some of his original bush gear.

As a part of this research, Hiddins was introduced to the Kakadu plum (Terminalia ferdinandiana) by the Aborigines, who had used the plant for thousands of years. He sent the fruit to be analysed, and it was found to have the highest concentration of Vitamin C of any known natural substance in the world.

Hiddins retired from the Army in 1989 with the rank of Major but continued to serve with the Army Reserve until 2001, working with Indigenous Australian communities in northern Australia.

Hiddins and the Chain of Ponds Winery released the distinctive Bush Tucker Man wines in 2002.

Since 2001, Hiddins has been at the forefront of establishing wilderness retreats for war Veterans. "Pandanus Park", the flagship for these retreats, is a parcel of Normanby River frontage on "Kalpowar Station", adjoining Lakefield National Park in Cape York Peninsula.

On 28 March 2008 Hiddins was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Science by James Cook University’s Faculty of Science, Engineering and Information Technology:

"in recognition for his outstanding and distinguished contribution to Australia and the northern Queensland community through his work on the ABC TV series Bush Tucker Man, his time in the defence force (including two tours of duty) where he worked with indigenous communities and establishing a bush retreat in Cape York for Vietnam veterans to enjoy." [2]

In 2009, Hiddins is enjoying his retirement, still bringing the Aussie bush to others through re-runs globally of the Bush Tucker Man series.

Ray Mears made a BBC programme about and with him, shown on BBC Two in June 2009 as part of his Ray Mears Goes Walkabout series.
TV programmes

Series:

Bush Tucker Man, Series One (1988 - 8 episodes, released on DVD in 2004) - ABC

Episode 1: Arnhem Land (Aborigines of Ngukurr, NT)
Episode 2: The Wet in Port Keats (Northwest Northern Territory in the Wet Season)
Episode 3: Desert (Desert Country)
Episode 4: Prince Regent Gorge (Heart of the Kimberley)
Episode 5: Rain Forest (Rainforest at Iron Range)
Episode 6: Coastal (Northern Queensland Coastline)
Episode 7: Doomadgee (Gulf Country)
Episode 8: Aurukun (West Coast of Cape York)

Bush Tucker Man, Series Two (1990 - 7 episodes, released on DVD 1 October 2009) - ABC

Episode 1: Wet Season
Episode 2: East To West
Episode 3: Kimberley
Episode 4: Top End
Episode 5: Wildman
Episode 6: Coastal Story
Episode 7: Desert Story

Bush Tucker Man - Stories of Survival (1996 - 8 episodes, released on DVD in 2004) - ABC

Episode 1: The Coffee Royal Affair
Episode 2: The Cannibal Convict
Episode 3: The Great Misadventure
Episode 4: The Best of Them All
Episode 5: The Dutch Settlement
Episode 6: Gold Fever
Episode 7: The Passionate Prussian
Episode 8: Into The Vilest Country
Books

Bush Tucker Man Series
Bush Tucker Man - Stories of Exploration and Survival (1996)
Bush Tucker Man - Tarnished Heroes (1997)
Explore Wild Australia with the Bush Tucker Man (1999)
Bush Tucker Fieldguide (2002)
Children's Books
The Coral Coast
The Top End
The Tropical Rainforest
The Living Desert

BjornJ
16-05-12, 10:13 PM
Very interesting for sure.

Hehe, the hat? What's the story there, never seen such a big, funny shaped hat before.

No offence intended, just asking.

BjornJ
16-05-12, 11:05 PM
certainly a characteristic Hat.

thanks
Bjorn

Greatbloke
17-05-12, 09:31 AM
They took down that video already :( .

When I was in Scouts we used to reshape our hats by holding them in the shape we wished, with clothes pegs -and newspaper to prevent peg marks- while steaming them over a kettle.

BjornJ
17-05-12, 07:46 PM
funny how different hats are around the world, eh.
This is a traditional Scandinavian natives (Same/sami) hat;

BjornJ
17-05-12, 08:35 PM
you want to talk arctic "bushcraft", the sami has a thing or two to teach.

The indigenous people living across the top of Norway, Sweden, Finland and a bit of Russia.
-45-50 degrees C is common, every winter, north of the Arctic circle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_people