PDA

View Full Version : My "new" hatchet

Dutchy357
25-11-11, 07:32 PM
Hi Guys

I have just added this to my Bush Kit.

I was looking for a small axe and was very attracted to a Hammer Hawk. However while searching for something else, I came across this little piece. Nostalgia kicked in. The Hatchet is marked Trojan. Its probably older than I am.

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy193/Dutchy357/Forums/ABF/S_trojan.jpg

Scott TROJAN & Son Pty Ltd, Victoria, Manufactured Slashers, scythes, hatchets, shears, knives, scissors and chisels (courtesty Hand Tools Preservation Society). They also made machetes for the Military during WW2 which is where I came across them previously.

The Head is 3 1/2" (90 mm) edge, 5" (128 mm) deep or it would have been except for the chip. But I can live with that. The handle is 12" (305 mm).

So I now have a nice piece of Australiana to take bush with me and probabaly a lot better quality than most of the modern hatchets.

Next project is to make a leather cover for it.

Dutchy

Wave Man
25-11-11, 08:02 PM
nice hatchet you have there mate, gotta love a hand axe for bush work. Keep us updated on the sheath.

Howling Dingo
26-11-11, 12:12 AM
That's a really good find..!!

kobold
26-11-11, 12:39 AM
it's a little beauty. i am restoring a splitting maul i salvaged from a house fire atm. i wonder if it lost its temper, but i managed to put a good edge on it.

Blackhawk
28-11-11, 09:47 PM
These old ones have so much character and half the fun of restoration is seeing a brand name once you get the tarnish and rust off.2025

Blake
30-11-11, 11:00 AM
I love seeing old tools restored and brought back to their former glory. Well done blackhawk. Can I ask were you purchased it from? More importantly, are there anymore? :_risata:

Blackhawk
05-12-11, 10:08 PM
I love seeing old tools restored and brought back to their former glory. Well done blackhawk. Can I ask were you purchased it from? More importantly, are there anymore? :_risata: The bottom hatchet was found at a garage sale.The top one is a modified full axe head(brand unknown) that I use now as a type of light forest axe or 1/2 axe.The balance of it is nice for those light lopping and splitting jobs,the hatchet gets a lot of use as a game processing tool.